Hello I am new and need advice

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

JollyPirate
New member - welcome them!

Hello I am new and need advice

Post by JollyPirate »

Hi, I am a Mum and based in the UK. I work for the health service and am currently struggling with things. I am 44 years old and have had problems with prganization for as long as I can remember (all my life). I have never been diagnosed with Dyspraxia but more and more am suspecting that this is where my problems lie. I recently read a book called "Caged in Chaos" and it was like reading about myself.

I fall over probably about every other month and wearing high heels is a no no :grin: Even in flat shoes I fall over and the people I work with laugh about this (in fact we all have a laugh about it me included). I am also hiopelessly disorgansed and this has led to problems in work. My colleagues who know me well agree that there is definitely something but nobody is sure what this is. I have considered ADHD but to be honest I feel I fit the dyspraxia mould far more.

I have been summoned to a meeting with my manager and team leader next week and I know this is going to be about record keeping (very very important in my job). I am overloaded with work (as are all my colleagues) and at times I have to leave record keeping to the next day. I have been pulled up in the past for writing a set of notes on the computer the next day but not adjusting the date and to be honest I am feelinbg more and more like I am not cut out for my job (community nurse). I love the physical side of the job and am told I am very good and compassionate - patients request me to care for them and I am prepared to go the extra mile to support people. The organisation thing is a closed book though. I can organise to a certain extent but it's all a bit ad hoc and messy. My colleagues know me and say affectionately "bloody hell look at the state of your desk JollyPirate" and laugh. It drives me insane though this mess and I don't know whether to seek a diagnosis or not.

I had a long chat with my GP recently about ADHD and she talked me out of that - I think she thought I was mad tbh. How do I now go back and say "actually rather than ADHD I think it might be dyspraxia".

If it matters my son is dyspraxic with ASD and ADHD - my Mum says he is not dissimilar to me as a child! This makes me wonder all the more about myself. I could see another GP in the practice if necessary but feel I am going mad and am very low. I am already on antidepressants.

Any advice? I have posted this in Work chat as well - hope that's okay but wasn't sure where it should go.
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Hello I am new and need advice

Post by agsiul »

I don't know if this is any help to you. I'm a 38 teacher. I wasn't diagnosed until this year. I'm in Ireland and it really doesn't make a damn bit of difference here if you have a diagnosis or not and it's not something I'd be advertising here. The only reason I went to get the diagnosis was I was thinking of going back to college and it is the only place that it will really make a difference other than in school. I always had problems in school with maths, spelling, organisation, social skills, etc. and was bullied a lot in school. At the time there was no such thing as getting a diagnosis for either dyslexia or dyspraxia. I'm after loosing my train of thought here....oh yes....I eventually went to get a diagnosis for dyslexia because of college but the psychologist was really condesending when he was talking to me. I was really upset with the whole thing. I'm a learning support teacher and I've spent my life teaching children how to get around problems, as a consequence my spelling in English improved (not in Irish). The psychologist was not in the least helpful and couldn't think outside the box at all. There is ablsolutely no way, as a teacher, I would have gone to anyone if I didn't think there was a problem but he talked down to me as if I was some kind of crazy person. After rambling on for ages....my point is that don't let the GP put you off. if you think there is a problem ask to speak to another GP or go and get a diagnosis privately from an OT. the OT would be able to go through your work day to help you get organised. On a personal note I'm delighted that I ignored the psychologist and went again and spent more money to get a diagnosis from the OT for Dyspraxia because it was sort of a relief that I had a diagnosis at last! I'm able to keep it together in work, mainly because I work all the time and do a huge amount at home. It's my personal life that is the problem. I feel like a fried egg when I come home. The OT has recommended that I set up a timetable for myself at home but I still haven't been able to get round to it!
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Forgot to say that there is a questionaire on the site with symptoms that would interest you. You should have a look. Good luck
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Don;t you have an equivalent of teh DDA act in Ireland ? AS WHO declared its a disability in 2006 id be rather surprised if you didnt ?
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

we do but I'm not sure how it would help in work. I think it would be mainly for people who'd be deaf, etc. I did say something in a different school but like one of the other posters got poopooed and was really upset. The others told me I was cracked to say anything because it would give others something over me. Will try to find out from the Citezen Information centre if they have any information on it so that I can post what I can find out.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

I would , over here (England) your covered as much as anyone with the obvious disabilities if they say or use anything against you , they are discriminating and you have a case against them in law . Again here the company must discuss and find a way to help you (called reasonable adjustment) or again be sued for damages .
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

I should point out of course this is only if you decalre it and feel it has an impact on your work which in your case Dyspraxia does.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I've just emailed Citzen Adivce to get some info from them. I try to keep my written work on the computer so that I can chop and change it where needed. There are some times of the year where the workload is very big. Work are good helping out but we all help each other out when it's needed. I think the biggest problem would be if I were in a mainstream class because of all the written work & corrections. It's one thing to make a spelling mistake in a learning support class it's another thing to make them in a mainstream class. I used to have to do so much work at home when I was in a mainstream class....It's not like I can ask anyone else to correct the work. It's one thing in English because you can use a spellchecker now but in Irish it's not possible (so many gramatical rules, etc. ) No point worrying about it for the minute.
butterfly
New member - welcome them!

Post by butterfly »

Hello agsiul,
I'm also Irish and a teacher, and have just self diagnosed myself as having dyspraxia. Can you tell me, what steps did you take in order to get diagnosed? Was it worth it? Did they just tell you "I can confirm that you do have dyspraxia"!...or did they give tips, specific to you, in terms of how to deal with it?
Thanks!