Reading and punctuation

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

ninkapoop
New member - welcome them!

Reading and punctuation

Post by ninkapoop »

Hi there.

I'm a dyslexia tutor and have a son with dyspraxia. I remember him having great difficulty when he was learning to read because he didn't seem to 'see' punctuation and would totally ignore full stops etc. He has got better over the years but I was wondering if anyone else has found this and, if so, how have they got round it?
eoakley
Regular Poster

Re: Reading and punctuation

Post by eoakley »

Hi,
I did this until recently and then I had no grasp of using punctuation. I have recently been assessed for irlen syndrome and have been prescribed blue tinted glasses. Before I didn't really see the punctuation. now I can see the page and the words on it much better when I put my glasses on it is like the print gets lifted.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

Don't worry about punctuaion too much or having spaces between full stops unless an exam tells you have to like for english. It's about the quality of what you write.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
BigRob
New member - welcome them!

Post by BigRob »

I overuse punctuatuon and have a habit of dropping capital letters into everything rather than missing it. My spelling has always been terrible but no teachers have ever said anything other than "Stop doing that" or "Get a dictionary" so I don't know if mine is that bad. It has got alot worse in the last few years but thats because I don't write anywhere near as much as I used to.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Im with NObody Else will on this . When at school i used to get solid B's for History essays i would write (i was advised i would have A's if only my handwriting wasn't so bad oh the irony ).

When i was tested in 2008 i was found to have in teh top 1% of reading and visual IQ for my age group and i put that down to ... reading comics from an early age . COmbining the words and pictures . I learnt to scan read them (also to avoid buying in shops ;) ) but my brain created the storys with minimal usage of reading words ( i have since read proper novesl as some people call them like Lord of The Rings , Zen and teh Art of Motorcycle maintenance and the Illuminates Trilogy ). A thing to also watch out for is he may come a cross a word he simley cannot say or understand ( i know i did ) still happens just say it a few times this wil help ;)

I have Dyslexia as well :D
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

i always find that if i got a lot on my mind or a lot to do punctuation and sometimes spelling are the last on my mind but if it's something really important like a report for work or an essay than I make sure I punctuate and use the correct spelling and grammar. I also find that I like to read a lot especially in the evenings when i am on bed rest.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)