I hate public transport

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadwell

Re: I hate public transport

Post by Shadwell »

maybe I should go for my psv licence instead!! not sure, there again a dyspraxic with no sense of direction would still do a better job than a normal driver at trying to keep to a timetable (whatever they are!!).
michele
Getting settled in

Post by michele »

Totally different country here...but I also hate public transportation. I've never mastered it at all...the schedules and routes are so confusing it drives me crazy. And then I get so scared of missing my stop. The stress of getting on the bus or train on time, the fear of having a mega clumsy moment while boarding. I used to be terrified ajnd I do mean terrified of somehow falling onto a train track.

When I used to commute to work from the suburbs to the city, I ended up on the wrong train and/or passing my stop so many times the conductors got used to it. This despite my commuting with my father in the morning so I only had to make it home. At least the walk from work back to the train was a straight line. That was the city-suburb line.

The chicago buses and internal city train line (the L) are just impossible I can't even figure out the routes. I've been to other US cities where it actually made more sense though. And some of the bus and train stations around here are really scary as well. If Chicago is so Gung ho on the olympics then the city is really going to have to modernize transport. Washington D.C. and Toronto both have MUCH better transportation IMO. Well now you all know where I'm from...lol. If we get the olympics you can all visit in 8 years ;) Now I just need a good excuse to cross the pond other then looking up long lost relatives. What I find weird though is I've never had a hard time with plane flights, but every other form of public transit...no idea why. Cabs don;t work that well for me also cause I barely know how to direct them <sigh>.

sheppeyescapee good to know there is another member of the tribe on here.

Michele
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

Rural Wales has terrible public transport. From my house to the train station is 7 miles, and while there is a bus service from just outside my house to the station and the town where I work, it takes half an hour or more. Driving to town takes me 10-15 minutes at the most, and going further is much more difficult, uncomfortable and costly.
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

Grrr i hate public transport, i really hate the south-eastern trains they are terrible :evil: , the trains that come through my station are filthy its horrible(I have an Obsessive cleaning behaviour).I dread having to having to get the train even for 5mins, they are soo costly and are often late due to people vandalising signalling equipment(If there was actually train guards present this wouldn't happen). I have tried to learn to drive but after a years worth of lessons and still not much improvement i gave up on it so i tend to just cycle everywhere i go :lol: now much simpler, cheaper, more reliable and sometimes faster depending on if the train is actually on time
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I'm ok with public transport it's something that i rely on to get me from a to b but i do find the bus drivers very inconsiderate and i feel like an old granny sometimes when i have tried to pay for a bus with debit card (got mixed up between the two)
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I hate public transport. It's not the transport what bothers me, it is the people. I hate being surrounded. I hate buses, I cannot go on one by myself. I have a phobia of going on buses. When I was young, my Dad got off the bus and I was right behind him and was about to get off when the doors shut on me and the bus took off. That was one scary moment. My dad stopped the bus but I never really forgot it.

I'm getting used to use trains though. I find trains a lot more reliable than buses and a lot more comfortable. I'm gone on several trips now using trains and I'm getting used to it. I even managed to use the ticket machine the other day correctly. I normally go to the counter but none of them were open.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

But I get on trains like clock work and i never have a problem. But i do find it a bit too loud when the two trains are overlapping each other. Does anyone find bus and train timetables hard to read sometimes?
Robletthenob
Getting settled in

Post by Robletthenob »

NobodyElseWill wrote:But I get on trains like clock work and i never have a problem. But i do find it a bit too loud when the two trains are overlapping each other. Does anyone find bus and train timetables hard to read sometimes?
Yes i cant read train or bus timetables they make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever
Couldn't live without dyspraxia, taking it away from me would be to take a chunk of my personality too
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I find them really confusing and especially if i am in a rush or i am stressed.
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

NobodyElseWill wrote:But I get on trains like clock work and i never have a problem. But i do find it a bit too loud when the two trains are overlapping each other. Does anyone find bus and train timetables hard to read sometimes?
I'm the same. I find timetables very confusing. I always have myself print off a simple version of the times from the net instead of pick up an actual timetable as the grids are just plain confusing. :-k

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Owen
Getting settled in

Post by Owen »

I rely on public transport in Ryedale, but i do find the increase in prices annoying. I am unemployed but on job seekers allowance, so i don't get any discounts on the bus. At the moment it is £7.80 a day return to travel a round trip of 40 miles. I think this is a bit of a rip off, as over the last year or so it seems to go up every other month in price. There was a time when there was only 10p difference between the bus and train, and now it is over a pound. Another thing that gets me going is the fact that the bus goes through a village outside of Ryedale called Stockton on forest. On one lane they have about five bus stops in under a mile!! I can't understand it because Stockton on forest is in York unitary authority so why can't they be covered by buses from York, like the rest of the area is?!! I have got on this bus before from York and had to stand just so loads of people can get off at Stockton, it is a joke...Another thing is that some bus drivers are really unfriendly you know you thank them when you get off the bus and they don't reply i think that is wrong.
Maau
Getting settled in

Post by Maau »

I can't drive, and my village has only got one bus an hour going out of it so I feel kind of trapped sometimes. It's a bus and a train to college which I do 3 days a week, and I HATE GETTING THE SCHOOL BUS WITH THE FREAKING KIDS. <.< sorry it had to be said. They make so much noise and throw things at each other! Gah! I don't want to deal with it. The train is ok, even if it is bloody expensive. 4.30 return for 2 stops! The college chav's get the train too so I get on the first carriage which is usually empty of chavs even though it means a bit of a longer walk down the platform!

To get to college everyday is 5.20 return for bus and 4.30 return for train. £9.50. Then I have to get lunch/dinner if college is late. >.<

I would like to learn to drive. If my mother can drive I can drive. (She is appalling... She has night blindness now. Getting in a car with her at night is suicide. It also took her 5 years to learn and she doesn't even have dyspraxia.)

She says she will pay for me to have intensive lessons when I finish college and then buy me a car and insurance. Me thinks she will be bankrupt.
Elizsabeth
Getting settled in

Post by Elizsabeth »

I struggle with public transport also. So unreliable and tiring! I can legally drive, though whenever I drive depends on how my head is as judgment, perception and processing can be a problem, plus the risk of my panic attacks stemming from these problems. I often have the choice between an unreliable public transport that would take 1 hour journeying time, that would be 10 minutes in the car. So I'm always dealing with having to choose. I normally choose public transport over driving because if I do have problems and/or a panic attack I'd rather not be behind a wheel! I suppose there is no easy option and depends on individual services. I normally choose to be extremely early for everything and go by public transport. I know this can be impractical but it is the best I have found yet for myself (though I'm always looking for ways around problems).
Steven
New member - welcome them!

Post by Steven »

I accept apparent the buses leave boondocks on time but doesn't beggarly they leave the bus stops on time! like my accompany stag night, I asked the bus disciplinarian what time the endure bus was fabricated abiding I larboard got to the bus cease ten account beforehand than the bus disciplinarian said.
phoena
Getting settled in

Post by phoena »

Yes we all don't like public transportation but we cannot do anything about it as we don't have hold on them. I guess i just keep my mouth shot and just live with it..