Never more than two months

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Never more than two months

Post by Cheetarah »

Reading through these forums I've noticed that although many or most people with dyspraxia have trouble holding down a full time job, the majority seem to manage to last a number of months or even years. The longest I've ever been in a full time job is two months and I'm normally fired in a matter of days. I've tried so many kinds of work- data entry, admin, cleaning toilets and as a classroom assistant. I'm thirty-two now and determined to overcome this. I have a degree but can perform work tasks literally ten times slower than other people but am fighting to finish as quockly as I can. Is there anyone else like this?
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Re: Never more than two months

Post by Cheetarah »

Please will somebody answer? :*(
'I always ran after the ball because, after all, Mary, the ball is important in a game, isn't it? until I found they didn't like me doing that because I never got near it or hit it or did whatever you are supposed to do to it.'
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Waves hiu , depends wher you are . In the UK work places should give assistance under the DDA . As long as its a resonable ajustment and your not totally unsutable for teh job that is .

I had a job for 11 years so it can happen :D
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I still think there must be certain jobs that would better suit dyspraxics than others. I think the problem can be is that many dyspraxics have trouble in securing decent jobs and often the less well paying jobs are also some of the most dyspraxic unfriendly.

I'm finally in a job that I can manage quite well, and the organisation is good at supporting diversity.

Dan.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I think the problem is worse if a dyspraxic has a degree, the job centre will help non - graduates.

Graduate jobs are fiercely competitive. The few non - graduate jobs a graduate can do, is dyspraxic unfriendly and often controlled by recruitment agencies. Non - graduate jobs require coordination and/or communication.

Administration jobs are often controlled by recruitment agencies.

Dyspraxia is not well supported.

Did you get fired because of speed or accuracy ?

Administration jobs sometimes demand typing speed.

See,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/ap ... ers-advice

I am not allowed to have a diagnosis of dyspraxia on the N.H.S but I definitely have it.

Try and do a job which you like and the skill is in demand if possible.

I do not like call centre work but the longest job I have had is mainly gathering data & giving vouchers for over 11 months. I cannot do sales or force people do a task. Administration jobs are boring and lifeless.

The government must do more.
peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Post by peterkeegan »

I think no more what career we go into we are always going to struggle if we don't get the support needed. Write to MPs or the Disability Select Committee.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I've never had a job but I'm hoping when I am fully qualified and all that, hopefully I can find a job that I will be able to stick to and not get fire within 24 hours. :lol:

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Cheetarah
Getting settled in

Post by Cheetarah »

Hi again, thanks for your replies. Sorry I didn't come back sooner. Most of my problems do seem to be down to speed and accuracy, as Aladdin said. I did in fact keep a part-time job for three years, working with disabled children in an adventure playground but haven't lasted in any full time posts. Practical training sounds like a good answer, becoming alot more confident is another.

I'm going to look at some college courses and get some work experience starting from September. Good luck all of you.

Lucy
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I want to work, I hated being unemployed.

I have never had a proper full time job, I have always managed to get some temporary work all via employment agencies which have not lasted more than three months due to the contract of the job.

I have had one work placement and managed to get some work prep via the job centre disability team.

I have got some temporary work currently. The company which the employment agency sent me to knows about my disability,

All my jobs have been data entry (where speed and accuracy were important) some of the jobs did not last long due to in one company about 50 temps were needed and all the work was completed in nine days.

One job lasted three days due too of not being shown what I needed to do in the job, being shown one example of what I needed to do was deem enough for them, even when I asked for help I was annoyed by the colleagues I worked with,

I think my biggest weaknesses are because of my speech, using the telephone and speaking to people face to face, ie general public.
sanabitur_anima
Getting settled in

Post by sanabitur_anima »

I've never had a full-time job. I've had one part-time paid job which was temporary. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a job when I finish my degree, but the ableism and the crappiness of the economy mean I may not.
alilouise
Getting settled in

Post by alilouise »

I have been in a job for twelve years now working as a Quality Administrator. My role involves documentation.

With dyspraxia people need to discover their fortay e.g. waitressing, office, retail, medicine, teaching.

It is possible to make a success of a career with dyspraxia. No one even knows in my workplace that I have the condition.

Never give up in life. Keep on trying.
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

my longest job was a month ](*,)
It's a frustrating problem it's been over a year since my last job :(
it is really difficult
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi LuLu. I agree that finding and keeping suitable employment can be extremely frustrating for people with dyspraxia. I'm currently not working, due to having been bullied out of my last job in a school then embarking on a course which I had to leave because it was so poorly organised. Getting a job is particularly difficult for just about anyone at the moment, but it can seem almost impossible for someone with dyspraxia. It doesn't help that the Job Centre is pretty much clueless when it comes to dyspraxia.