Introduce yourself here, a bit about you and your interests.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bear_ate_my_coffee
Getting settled in

Post by Bear_ate_my_coffee »

Hello I'm Bear_ate_my_coffee but feel free to call me 'Bear' for short.

A bit about me:

I'm female. I'm an Australian. I'm 17 (hope that's old enough to join this board, I consider myself an adult). I was diagnosis with Verbal Dsypraxia at a young age by a excellent speech therapist. Though I do mainly suffer from the verbal side of Dyspraxia I have a number of symptoms from the motor skills side (watch out poles or might just walk straight in to you). Despite being diagnosis a long time ago I’m actually rather new to the whole Dyspraxia. As a child I was just told you have Dyspraxia and that is why no one can understand what you’re saying. It's only recently I started to research it so I'll probably fill of question and very interested in what people have to say.

Interests:
-ANIME!!!
-Japan
-Science
-Medicine
-Anatomy
-Psychology

I'm friendly and look forward to sharing and chatting with ya all. Soooo give plenty of replies. Please.

Oh and one question I glance around the forums a bit and a lot of people talk about the Motor skills problems of Dsypraxia I was wondering if any of you had verbal problems? Thanks.

~Bear~ let's boogie \:D/
rhubarb_crumble
Getting settled in

Post by rhubarb_crumble »

Welcome to the site, Bear. I think your username is really cool!

My name is Rosanna, I'm 18 and come from Leeds, UK. Like you, I have some verbal problems and sometimes people don't understand what I'm saying although I have improved tremendously over the years.

I hope you find this forum useful. Look forward to 'hearing' you around!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Welcome to the forum, Bear.

You're adding to our down-under contingent of members, which is great! (Good work with Commonwealth Games by the way :D)

Perhaps you could tell us more about verbal dyspraxia? Does it affect the ability to correctly pronounce words?

Dan.
nick
Power poster

Post by nick »

hi bear my name is nick welcome to the group. i alxo have problem speaking my words. i used to get realy frustrated with myself about it and so ashamed, but now i know that it is because i'm dyspraxic.
Tortoise
Getting settled in

Post by Tortoise »

hey - australians are the best \:D/ (no im not biased)

we should start a thread about the speech side of things...

yeah i have speech issues - but mainly to do with clarity... i have had a little bit of speech therapy.

welcome :)

Tortoise
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Hi Bear,

Welocme to the forum. I'm David 18 years old.
I have been having problems with my speech recently. When I'm nervious I talk too fast and roll my words into one. The thing is I never used to do this. I don't know if it is me or Dyspraxia that is causing the problem.

David
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Alas; Tortiose is the token Ozzie no more!

PLeased to meet you Bear! You sound like an upbeat character; im sure we'll get on well! Ohhh im interested in anatomy; considered studying it at uni (before changing to cultural history and history of art!!!). Im studying the history of sceince and medicine just now; tis FASINATING! (you may be interested to know, if your not tell me to zip it!)

Anyhoo, hope you enjoy the baords,

Fuzz :D:D:D
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

Cool name ! =D> My name is Shanna. I'm Hermionefan5 on the dyspraxic teens and Matt's hideout websites. I'm 20 and I enjoy science, esp. anything to do with animals, writing fiction, reading, watching movies, sports.

Favorite books:

the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
Books by Nicholas Sparks including (not in any order):
The Notebook
True Believer
At First Sight
A Bend in the Road
The Rescue
A Walk to Remember
3 Weeks with My Brother (autobiography with his brother Micah Sparks)
The Guardian
Message in a Bottle

Favorite movies too many to mention all so how about ten of them in no particular order?:

Pirates of the Caribbean
Beauty and the Beast
Mulan
The Cutting Edge
Crash
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
Jerry Maguire
A League of Their Own
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Hook (and any other Peter Pan related movies)

Favorite Sports teams in order:

CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best team in the land no matter who wins the world series! (I miss Nomar Garciaparra though)

The US Women's Soccer team (I miss Mia Hamm and the gang)

The University of Illinois Fighting Illini basketball team! Go Dee Brown!

The North Central Cardinals Basketball team. I love my school! :)

The Chicago Fire soccer team. :)

The Chicago Bulls! Who else has won six championship trophies in seven years?
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Bear_ate_my_coffee
Getting settled in

Post by Bear_ate_my_coffee »

Thank you for all the Welcomes.

rhubarb_crumble: Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad you like the username. I did this random/silly/spam story e-mail thing and in the story the phase 'bear ate my coffee' was said by the characters when they where in a bad or sad mood caused by bad luck or unexpected/unplanned events (e.g. Computer breaking down before printing or saving the school project you worked on all night or being caught in a sudden storm with out an umbrella). I made up the term based on how coffee addict people aren’t happy until the get that first glass of coffee in the morning and on how a bear eating your coffee in something unexpected. After that I got a picture of a bear in my kitchen eating coffee got stuck in my head so I started using as my name on the internet. I actually hate the taste of coffee although I like the sound of the word coffee

Oh dear I rumbled on a lot didn't I. Sorry about that. Anyways my speech has also improve a lot over the years I still have trouble pronouncing some sounds but I'm very happy with my progress

Thanks again, I'll hear you around.

Daniel: Hello and thanks for the welcome. Ah yes the commonwealth games. Australia was pretty excited about being the venue this year. I'm not much of a sport fan but I find the Driving and gymnastics interesting to watch and Australia got over 200 medal which is crazy (in a good way). As far as I understand (I may get it wrong I only just started learning more about it) verbal dsypraxia is when the brain doesn't receive the messages to move the speech organs (tongue, mouth, etc) probably so they end up in the wrong position causing problems with pronunciation.

nick: Hello. I get frustrated some times over not being able say some words and sounds however not so much at me. I fall into the 'why me?' trap and wonder why I was 'cursed' with this problem when everyone around wasn't. However I'm learning the Dsypraxia doesn't reflect my how smart I am or who I am as person. I'm also glad you leant you have Dsypraxia and it not your fault you have this problem.

Tortoise: Hello Tortoise, yes Australians can be pretty awesome. My problem with speech is clarity too as well as pronunciation with adds to the clarity problems. I had weekly speech therapy in early primary school and my speech can now be understood most of the time.

david456: I mess up my speech and talk fast when I got nervous too. It's common thing some people do when nervous although Dsypraxia may make it a bit worse because I read the harder a person with dsypraxia tries to say a word or is pressured to say a word correctly it can make the speech worse.

fuzzy: It's nice to meet you too fuzzy. I'm very interested in finding out how and why things are the way they are and function how they do. So naturally I'm enjoy learning about anatomy and science. I like to read a bit about these things when I have spare time some of it is really complexes and I don't understand all but I still have fun trying.
Im studying the history of sceince and medicine just now; tis FASINATING! (you may be interested to know, if your not tell me to zip it!)
Not interested in knowing, Zip it! JUST KIDDING I'm interested, it really does sound like a fascinating subject. Getting to know all about how our understanding of science and medicine developed and theories and beliefs in the past etc.

keiraknightleyfan27: Hello and thanks.

My Favourite books:
Don't really have any at the moment I mainly read non-fiction books I do plan to get into reading more novels just need to find the time. I also enjoy reading fanfiction (fiction written based on a TV show, Anime, movie etc by the fans) and Manga (Japanese comic books)

My Favourite Movies
Not a huge movie fan but here are my favs:

-Donnie Darko
-Howl's moving castle
-Spirited Away
-Alice in Wonderland

and that's all I can think of. I would list my favourite sport teams but I’m not really into sport so I don't have any.
"I suppose society is wonderfully delightful. To be in it is merely a bore. But to be out of it simply a tragedy."
the play: A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde