'walking straight'

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

fluxwolfdfw
New member - welcome them!

Re: 'walking straight'

Post by fluxwolfdfw »

can't walk straight to save my life, always deviate from the line, come back and repeat.
please don't touch me....
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

when I was a kid my made me walk on a straight line with a book on my head (twas horrible) and I always forget to raise my feet completely off the floor, so the soles of my shoes go off so quick. Dr Martins are ac e for that, cos being heavy it kind of reminds you to lift my feet.
Eva in London
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

I meant my mum
Eva in London
krackerz1590
Getting settled in

Post by krackerz1590 »

yes i do think i have succeeded in walking in a straight line then my parents inform me that i walking all over the place like i'm drunk it to do with my gait i have with dyspraxia my legs and hips start to hurt and ache!!!
fiona.d

Post by fiona.d »

Whenever I walk it's seldom in a straight line. When someone walks on my left I always veer into them.
When I'm alone I veer from side to side. I try to focus on stationary objects in order to walk straight, but it doesn't always work. It looks amusing when written down but in reality it can be embarrasing but there's not much I can do about it, so I try to live with it.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

I'm the same and it can be quite annoying and i have been mistakenly assumed i was drunk one time, but luckily i managed to prove I wasn't drunk and everything was ok. I find that I am ok in double doors, but i do find that i misjudge objects a lot and i would never go down escalators in busy shopping malls and train stations. They can feel very overwhelming.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I don't have trouble walking in a straight line now but when I was younger, I found it quite tricky. Even now though, I find I do have trouble walking in shopping malls with crowds, I can easily bump into people.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
mickyoschea

Post by mickyoschea »

Hi i am not able to walk in a straight line.although i do alot of fell walking and as a result it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.the main thing i find a problem when i am walking is that because of my dyspraxia i like to just rush around alot with out thinking.doe's anyone else have the same problems?
Calitxu
Getting settled in

Post by Calitxu »

That's funny. I haven't been on here for a while and was browsing the topics when I saw this one.

I only noticed a bit of a lopsided walk about 4 years ago, which is strange because although I was severely dyspraxic as a child, I seem to have overcome most of my annoying tendencies. I assumed one day when I felt I was veering to the side (right, I think) that I was just tired, or a bit fluey and dizzy. It was a really odd and slightly unnerving sensation. I've noticed it occasionally since, but it's certainly not all the time.

I wondered if I was imagining it as I mentioned it to my boyfriend and he didn't seem to know what I was talking about!

Does anyone experience this more when they're tired or felling slightly under the weather?

I definitely seem to experience more dyspraxic symptoms at certain times - I go through phases of bumping into things and muddling sounds or word order, for example. Maybe just the odd day, and for no apparent reason (today I walked into a door frame and managed to smack myself in the mouth with a pen). I can't figure out why I'm more aware of some of these things now when I was actually far more dyspraxic as a child.

Bizarre!
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

the last few days i have been feeling unwell and very tired as my stomach pain got too much for me and i found i couldn't walk very far without feeling knackered and it was the same when i went to a meeting i wasn't concentrating very well and after a two hour meeting i was feeling really poorly. But other days I can be fine.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Fello voer yesterday in public arse over boob , on grass , becuase ... of a slight dip , sigh not done that in years he he