Learning to Drive

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I have to learn to drive to get a job. I'm really scared I may never be able to do it. I'm useless in tests. I panic.

It's so expensive too. It's wrong, we can't get some sort of governemnt grant, as it would take someone with Dyspraxia far longer to learn.

One of my mates failed for the second time today, which doesn't put me at ease.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I know if you are on the higher rate of mobility for DLA and have a car from mobility. There is an option to get funded driving lessons but you have to be 16-24 years of age...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I took the pass plus exam recently which exaines motorway, dual carrigeway, long distance, town country and night driving. I passed very weel - had the same instructor for my lessons and he siad my driving had improved which was a definate confidence booster.

Passing Pass Plus can give you discounts on insurance renewals so it's definately worth doing.

I drive manual. Driver
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

hi david, just read your post now, and no, I would say in all fairness, that the driving test has got a lot harder,

well for me to pas in a car nearly 13 years ago, and then fail twice with the wagon, and that is just on the driving, not the Questions and Answers, or the show me, or the theory test.

which the thory test is a lot harder for a truck, than a car, as with the car, you need to pass 25 questions out of 35, with the truck you got to pass 30 out of 35.

then the hazard perception also had to be 5 points above the car test, so I was more or less plastered to the computer screne!

so I would suggest buying the software first so you can practice at home, even though it ends up costing ou more than a test, it is worth it.

also get as much as possible driving experiance in the size of vehicle you want to drive most.

I found that driving larger vehicles, and then moving to smaller vehicles was really easy.

to be honnest I have noticed about 90% maybe more, of the jobs I have seen advertised in the press, and other places have the requirements of being able to drive. yet about 89% of them don't say they offer a company vehicle! or reasoning behind you needing a driving license!

like ok, taxi driver, delivery driver, security, and sales rep. all really need to hold driving license, due to the driving involved, but to work in a shop, to work in a bank, to work in an office!

the only ones that do is the supervisor or above in a shop, the bank manager or above in a bank, and 1 or 2 senior persons in an office. not the entire human population!

I really thing it is so companies don't have to pay the qualified drivers more money for the extra qualification!!
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i'm going to start driving lessons within the next month or so i hope, (providing i get some work to pay for them). I had about 12 lessons 2.5 years ago, and can't really remember much about driving. I really want to pass my test before i graduate though which will be in june/july, as i won't have the time to study+work+learn to drive next year. Not sure if this is possible - but will give it a go anyway. Not sure how long it usually takes to learn to drive - will have to see how it goes.

Lucy
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Lucy, nice to hear that you are willing to give driving lessons another try,

I learned in a car, and it did take me 3 months to pass first time, about 2 weeks before the driving test, my driving instructor left the well known driving school, and taken me on in his car, which he had got a garage to put dual controls on.

and I did feel ready for my driving test on that day, but that was like twice a week with the instructor, and nearly every night out with my father during the 3 months. and doing whatever driving I could do ontop of that.

but my driving instructor aggreed at the start 3 months, is about the right time limit to aim for, there again it was back in 1994, so didn't have the show me/tell me part of the practical test, or the hazard perception test, which last time I taken my lgv tests, then they were both easy to pass, and being lgv then the pass mark was higher than a car.

plus I had the advantage of knowing car maintenance, as I done that when in College back in 1994/5, so passing the show me/tell me bit of the test would be easy!!

the hazard perception test, then I bought a pc cd-rom for it, so I kind of knew what to expect from it.

the question part of the test, then I didn't know what to expect, as I had to learn the highway code, and also bought a book on lgv questions, as there didn't seem to be any software at the time for it.

maybe some others can give some hints as to how they are going about the driving lessons, like did they take the theory test before learning to drive, or have they just gone down the route (like my cousin) of just learning to drive, and then worry about the tests when the driving skill is up to test standard.

as the theory test pass certificate lasts only 2 years, then I would suggest the driving first
mattie
Regular Poster

Re: Learning to Drive

Post by mattie »

I have never taken driving lessons. With my poor spatial awareness, I don't think I'd ever be a safe driver; therefore, I very much doubt that I will ever learn how to drive. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me anyway: I just consider it a hassle.
little g
New member - welcome them!

Post by little g »

Hello... I am new to this forumn and was just browsing...It took me 6 years and 8 tests to pass but was totally worth it! not everyone can drive so be realistic, but on the other hand if you have skills dont be defeatist! money is the biggest issue, time is plenty, unfortunately money isnt always!
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

im taking my driving test for the 1st time in 2 weeks cant wait fingers crossed am doing really well instructor is impressed jus have to fully concentrate for 40 mins remebering the sequences and not speed!! i have 4 more lessons in that time to try and perfect a few things!! i may start to take kalms tomor as i hear they help although i dont feel too worried i may weel do on the day and dont want that... in fact feel a bit sick even thinking of my test just writing about it!
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

good luck with it Lumic.

yeah the last 2 weeks tends to turn your head into a spin, especially as you don't want anything to go wrong with it, I would suggest if possible to get as much practice in with driving for someone like trips to the shop and stuff as well.

like for the last 2 weeks before my driving test I done 12 hours with the driving instructor, and all the driving I could do with my parents, plus about an hour driving each evening.

easiest way as a truck driving instructor taught us, was to think of the examiner having a full cup of hot coffee in his hand...well maybe that didn't work!! as both of my truck tests they got out like they had ****ed themselves!!

any way hope your driving test goes well.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

thanks shadwell..... good news i passed my driving test i am soooo happy i gained 2 minor faults and that was that. was the worst experiance ever coming back in to the test centre that waiting till she said well done you have passed.. im not driving my car tonight as am far too excited!! watch out people am loose on the roads now!! :grin:
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

Well done! :D :D
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Congratulations on passing your test.... Just a word of warning be extra carefull and vigalent over the xmas period and new year when driving as other peoples driving skills tend to go down hill fast.... probably as they are rushing around! :)
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Well done Lumic,

especially on getting just 2 minor faults as well, I think my car test I had 7 minor, can't remember what they all were, apart from the one, which was caused due to a lady driver getting to me, and then like slamming the brakes on for no reason, apart from she wanted to turn right at the next junction (without indicating). so I was ready to go with the perception of her maintaining speed until the nearer the next junction, and as it was a one way system in town, then it was only looking right for pedestrians that I seen she had lost a lot of speed in such a short distance.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

thanks peops... drove to sainsburys tonight less than a mile away and it was so nerve wracking with no instructor next to me and idiots on the roads it was raining and they were going 40 odd in a 30.. this driving malarky is gonna be tough till i am used to it i just think if i drive everyday now and get used to my car i should be ok and not as nervous soon.

i got my 2 minor faults for an observation inb my turn in the road and safty while pulling off as i was nervous and forgot i had the hand brake on!! soon realised when it wouldnt budge lol my examiner was an ex traffic cop too so she was extra harsh apparently!!