Difficulty accepting help getting back to work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gomababe
Regular Poster

Difficulty accepting help getting back to work

Post by gomababe »

Surely I'm not the only person here who has problems accepting help offered to them simply because they never got any in the first place. I'm hesitant to ask about the WorkStep programme because I'm not sure if I'm even eligible {when, of course I should be} and I think part of my problem is that so many people convinced me that I never had any problems when I was young simply because I did well academically. Now I realise I've had these problems all my life and I'm only now having to cope with them, which makes the job search even more difficult than it should be {for example: could I cope in a busy office environment? Even if I had a simply cleaning job, would I encounter any unexpected difficulties in the job like taking mops and buckets up and down stairs? etc}. I have a wonderful Disability Advisor at the Job Centre, but as I only get to see her once a fortnight {less if she's got other commitments when I sign on} it makes it a bit akward to ask.

I really would like to have a job that reflects my abilities, but it looks like I'll have to have to lower my expectations{which at the minute are already pretty low; I've given up on the teacher training at the minute and I doubt I'm going to be able to move out any time soon}, something I absolutely hate doing.

If anyon has any advice it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Alana
Creative
Super poster

Re: Difficulty accepting help getting back to work

Post by Creative »

I am doing a programme called Work Preperation and have just started a work placement at my local libary. I have never had a paid job and I spent a year trying to find a training provider that could help me. I am with an organisation called Remploy. You may have different training providers in your area. Keep trying like I did and hopefully you will be sucessful.
Post about your frustrations, I certaintly had many interesting experinces.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

It's certainly a difficult area. I've spent quite some time trying to find out, largely through first-hand experience, what does and doesn't suit me.

Hopefully I've now found the area I've long been looking for, that can sufficiently engage me intellectually without unduly straining my areas of weakness.

In my last job, although it was in an area of personal interest to me, there were simply too many aspects to it that made it difficult - client facing and dealing with problems, often when the clients were angry about things entirely outside of my control, also telephone sales, and the general need to be driven by making sales and bonuses, which I wasn't.

In contrast my current role I know what work I'm doing and have direct control over it and the focus is on doing a proper job of the task in hand. All communication is internal, which suits me better than angry and often unreasonable clients, and the general atmosphere is very supportive.

Dan
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

I think that thisis part of the problem Daniel, I don't know what my relative strengths and weaknesses are when it comes to different types of work. All I know is that I'm good at working with young people and that's about it. I was never allowed the opportunity to have a part time job before I left university because I would never have been able to cope with trying to do my academic work as well as trying to hold down a job even at the weekends, I was too exhausted by the end of the week.

It doesn't help that we're going into a recession right now so there's really not much around that doesn't require previous experience.