Access to work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

flowergirl
New member - welcome them!

Access to work

Post by flowergirl »

Yesterday, I had a meeting with someone from personnel and one of my managers, about Access to work. I organised the meeting myself, having been sent from pillar to post - I work in a university which prides itself on its inclusive policy. I didn't wnat my manager involved at this stage, I felt it prevented me from being honest. I also found it hugely disempowering - my manager and the personnel rep met together before and after meeting with me. I can't articulate how angry i feel. The meeting stopped after an hour because it all got too much and I started crying, which I feel ashamed of, but I felt completely overloaded with questions.
I wish I'd kept quiet and not started this process.
Rant over.
Flowergirl ](*,)
Liz944
Super poster

Re: Access to work

Post by Liz944 »

Try not to let it get you down... its very difficult to talk about things which are causing you problems in the workplace and the help needed to get over these hurdles.

Maybe when arranging the meetings you could take someone you trust in for moral support and they could ask for a break between questions if they see you are struggling.

Once it is sorted out you will find it all worthwhile!
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

flowergirl wrote:Yesterday, I had a meeting with someone from personnel and one of my managers, about Access to work. I organised the meeting myself, having been sent from pillar to post - I work in a university which prides itself on its inclusive policy. I didn't wnat my manager involved at this stage, I felt it prevented me from being honest. I also found it hugely disempowering - my manager and the personnel rep met together before and after meeting with me. I can't articulate how angry i feel. The meeting stopped after an hour because it all got too much and I started crying, which I feel ashamed of, but I felt completely overloaded with questions.
I wish I'd kept quiet and not started this process.
Rant over.
Flowergirl ](*,)
I can totally sympathise - I've been there (not access to work, but disability discrimination) and it dragged on for 9 months (longer informally) - at times I too wish I had not bothered to say anything. Have you got a Union Rep, mine was very helpful.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

Liz944 wrote:Once it is sorted out you will find it all worthwhile!
That I totally agree with. I work in an organisation which has different offices and I was eventually moved to another office - it was like night and day, I now "enjoy" :rolleyes: going to work for the first time in about a year or so.