I'm at war...

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lady Fluff
Power poster

I'm at war...

Post by Lady Fluff »

...with a comb binding machine!

[rant]Being office pleb, I get to do all the 'orrible little tasks that everyone else is too important to do (especially as the temp was off today), and today it was my task to bind some documents togather. Fifteen of them, actually. In fact, it wasn't my task today, it was my task for Wednesday, but due to my terrible memory, I kept forgetting to ask someone to show me how to use this binding machine. Well, I got shown, and over the course of an hour, I managed to bind two documents. I just couldn't figure out how to do it. I was just compleetly cack-handed. It led to much swearing, threatening of the machine with being chucked out a window and much hilarity at the expense of my colleagues. In the end, I felt so stressed out by the whole experience I almost burst into tears!
Gosh, I hope I get a diagnosis of dyspraxia soon - if I'm not, I don't know what I can out this down to!!![/rant]
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re

Post by tompete123 »

I know what you are going through. I am Cashier in a prison in Suffolk. Until I mentioned the possibilty I may have dyscalculia I was told I was too slow. All the previous Cashiers could do the job I am doing in 6 hours. It takes me about 9 hours. The boss who is the most tolerant nice guy was even threatening me with poor performance due to my slowness. I can certainly relate to your difficulties. Good luck with your assessment. Hope your work is paying. Mine did
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re:

Post by tompete123 »

Hi again I think all employers are the same. Until you get a piece of paper stating you have a condition they treat you as lazy or stupid if you do not perform a job to their expectations. Unfair but suppose one can say life isn't always fair. Good luck Tom x
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re: I'm at War

Post by tompete123 »

Hi me again........... Its horrid colleagues are watching you struggle and making a joke out of it at your expense. Think thats out of order. Your manager should step in and say something as what you are suffering is BULLYING.Thats not acceptable whatever the reason.

I have same at my work except I work with a load of women and they basically blank me. All they sometimes say is "hello" and "goodbye" there is never any chat with them like "how are you?" "Did you have a good weekend?" Yet amongst themselves they talk a lot. The girl who taught me my job is particularly resentful as she can do my job in 6 hours and does as she is part time due to being a mum. The other lady is new but works closely with the girl who taught me my job so I suppose does not wish to beseen as being too friendly towards me. Its a form of Phychological bullying in that I am almost being "sent to coventry" because I cannot do the job. The two ladies currently "help me out" not because they would by choice, but I think because my manager has "asked" them to. Think this is a cause of resentment.

Anyway Take Care and if you want to chat my e mail please PM me or just within this forum feel free you are NOT alone.
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal email retrospectively removed for user safety and privacy
Where did I put that?
Getting settled in

Post by Where did I put that? »

I had to put together a course file (a folder full of documents relating to a specific course) at work and all I was given at first was a list. I didn't recognise many of the documents from the list by their names so had to ask a colleague what the documents looked like. I eventually got everything I needed but actually trying to put everything in the folder in some kind of order was an nightmare. I hate folders.

I took weeks to put together a folder that took one of my colleagues only a day to do. Though I have to admit that I did feel good that I had managed to do it at all! Lol. Only thing is I feel like I need to sleep for 3 days after I've done something like that!
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream!"
tompete123
Getting settled in

re;

Post by tompete123 »

hi where Did I put that

When I'm stressed or under pressure my mind goes "blank" like when the sea wipes marks off a sandy beach. I know where you are coming from. You are certainly not alone. Tom
November Rain
Getting settled in

Re: I'm at war...

Post by November Rain »

It's wrong that your colleagues just sat back and made light of your struggle, it doesn't help, could any of them have given you a hand?

All the more reason why I don't want a career in an office environment really, I wouldn't be at all suprised if I was constantly finding myself in situations like yours, I can see where you're coming from.

Hope you get your diagnosis, good luck.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

well the same task came around again this year, and before anyone even volunteered me, my boss remembered what a pickle I got in last year and promptly reassigned the task to another colleague! Phew!
Havign said that, it's a different machine and I might find it easier than the last one - but if they're happy to give said task to someone else then I sure as heck am not gonna complain!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
littlemadangel
Getting settled in

Post by littlemadangel »

I remember having a battle with a binding machine in my last job. We actually had 2 of them and the one that everyone else found easier to use, was the one I found really difficult. I ended up telling my boss I was dyspraxic and found it difficult to use it. Thank God, he understood cos he's dyslexic and I didnt have to do it too often after that!!