Job Applications

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jglover09
New member - welcome them!

Job Applications

Post by jglover09 »

A little bit about me: I'm 23, male, living in London. I recently graduated from my MA (I studied Live Art) and am now trying to get into a career in a creative industry. I currently have a job in retail but it isn't really what I want to be doing the rest of my life.

My struggle at the moment seems to be my application forms etc. I am always applying for jobs but I so far have only received 2 interviews out of probably around 50 applications and it is a real struggle. I wanted to know if anyone else struggled with this side of things, I sometimes think it is to do with my issue of processing/organizing my writing which is so infuriating as I know what I think i am saying, and with all of the jobs I apply for I am only applying for positions I know I can do and am trained to do, so i just wanted to know if anyone could offer any advice or support.

Is this even a dyspraxic thing or is it just a me thing.
Niamh

Re: Job Applications

Post by Niamh »

Job applications are the absolute worst. It might be a dyspraxic thing, maybe the difficulty of breaking into a really competitive industry, could be the learning curve of polishing applications for 'career' type jobs - could be all of the above. In terms of support, if you are a recent graduate your university's career service might offer alumni support - I could use my uni's career service for two years after graduating, and they offered CV and application reviews, interview practices etc. Even if you no longer live nearby they can read applications over email etc. So that might be a good place to go to find out what you could be doing differently. If you aren't already doing this, I'd ask a friend or family member to proofread your applications for you. Even if they aren't an expert in your field they'll be able to tell you if you're getting your message across.

One thing I do when filling out the application form is use all items in the person specification list as paragraph headings, then use the STAR example method (situation, task, action, result) to make really clear how I fulfil each thing. Then I go back and trim it/stitch everything together smoothly, knowing I have ticked each box which is what most employers are most interested in.

I'm having to start job hunting again and I despise it - so solidarity and best of luck!
pixiewithdocs
Getting settled in

Post by pixiewithdocs »

Jglover have you had any luck yet? Keeping fingers crossed for you
Aorta/tattoo the artery/with acute artistry
Scar_Sherriff

Post by Scar_Sherriff »

Is anyone here a dyspraxic journalist?
RavendraRajput

Post by RavendraRajput »

Job hunting can be tough, but don't give up. Keep trying and keep improving.