Workplace adjustments - recalling numbers/facts

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LO3113
New member - welcome them!

Workplace adjustments - recalling numbers/facts

Post by LO3113 »

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, and my work is willing to assist with workplace adjustments. I work from home anyway, which is great, but the one thing I really struggle with due to my dyspraxia (I think) is retaining and recalling facts & figures, which is unfortunately a large part of my job.

For example, I need to have to hand prices, dates and other numerical facts. Every day I'm asked for this sort of information while on the phone, and a quick answer is expected but I have to look it up every time - and our computers are slow so it takes a while. I've always struggled massively with this, which has been frustrating because colleagues never seem to have a problem, so it's good to have a reason!

So I'm just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for software or something that could help with this. I've been offered mind-mapping software to help me become more organised with my processes, which is great but doesn't help with this particular issue. All I can think of is having an iPad (which my workplace can offer) with all my spreadsheets on for quick access, or maybe just a second monitor so I can have all the information to hand. Any other ideas would be gratefully received!

(editing to add: I asked about dyscalculia but it seems that isn't the issue - I'm reasonably good at maths and can do mental arithmetic fairly quickly, it's just recalling the numbers I need that I struggle with!)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Workplace adjustments - recalling numbers/facts

Post by Tom fod »

A 2nd monitor could be one option - you may also need updated graphics card to make it work. Is slowness down to speed of your input or also speed of link that enables you to query details and prices of products customer is seeking to order? Do the the prices change and do they vary based on number of items/value of order? How many different products might a customer be asking for/about in a typical call?

I find it can be hard to juggle processing what a customer is saying and simultaneously extracting necessary info and inputting that and repeating order and total back to caller. Are you using a headset or holding phone and trying to put info in one handed?

For myself I like to create my own ready reference documents and was wondering if prices in a spreadsheet and perhaps creating entering details on screen as you speak to clients on the phone might more quickly help you ascertain what the required order total will amount to? I can and do struggle with visual tracking so how clearly the info appears and is presented on screen is v important for me.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
LO3113
New member - welcome them!

Post by LO3113 »

Thanks for your reply. Our laptops are ancient, which is why finding information takes so long - it can take a minute or so to open a spreadsheet, for example!

I actually work in commercial property, so there is a lot of numerical data - floor areas, start and end dates, rent, service charge etc... that people need from me at short notice, for various reasons - throughout my career none of my colleagues have had the issues I have with remembering this sort of information which has always been a frustration. I probably look after about 50 properties/agreements in total.

I think the best thing would be for me to have a single spreadsheet with all the standard information for my properties, ideally open on a second screen so it's always readily accessible (because I'm usually checking several emails and other documents at the same time) - if the laptop will cope with it. I just feel a bit silly/dramatic asking for extra hardware for something that everybody else manages no problem, but it would definitely improve my work I think, so it should be worth the embarrassment.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It is encouraging that your employer are on board with trying to find ways to help you do your job. It is always human nature to compare yourself against how well you perceive your colleagues are managing. If they are using same age laptops and having to connect in, they probably have the same frustrations. It would be worth asking how they manage to have info they need quickly to hand as they might have useful tips that could help you.

Look at it as your employer helping to level the playing field so that you can be more efficient in doing your job and thus ultimately benefiting them too. Managing a portfolio of 50 or so different premises and the clients renting them is going to be a significant challenge for anyone and it’s really positive your employer has recognised that this is more difficult for you and want to try to help.

Being honest and admitting that you’re struggling and things feel out of control is especially difficult but should never be seen as failure. Tring to conceal that there’s a problem until the full scale comes to light too late is a lot worse for everybody. No sensible employer wants to cause any of their employees a nervous breakdown and it is probably the case that you’re not the only one on the edge and trying to keep it together.

Switching between multiple tasks and keeping plates spinning is difficult and a particular challenge for many, so don’t forget to be proud of yourself as many here and other people in general are going to be in awe of what you have on your plate.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)