Finding a job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

EnigmaticLila
Getting settled in

Re: Finding a job

Post by EnigmaticLila »

Your comment about my mom made me laugh. My dad calls her a schizo (as in split/mulitple minds) because she constantly goes on random rampages then randomly flips the story to the exact opposite. She never remembers the awful stuff she's said to me.

Actually... there's plenty trade deals with Russia and China and the Gupta family has been discovered to have deep connections into the government here. It's literally any country that can take advantage is doing so tbh... It's to the point that our neighbouring countries are getting our electricity, water and oil supplies and internet services at cheaper rates than what's charged to the locals here.

Thanks allesandro. ^.^
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

allesandro wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:50 am . . . Shame that South Africa is so exploited by foreigners, let me guess, the British and the Americans? We're both famous for exploitation, only my English neighbor keeps reminding me that the Brits have been doing it for much longer than we Americans.
Touche! Diplomacy has always been about gaining allies and influence and access to raw materials/mineral wealth.Sadly money and power corrupts and humankind sadly does not have a good track record and history oft repeats itself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
MaeReeves
New member - welcome them!

Post by MaeReeves »

Hello, you should not despair, especially since you have a degree in psychology, which means you have already received a profession and can work from medical institutions to schools and universities. Just look at the vacancies in this profession every day. I'm sure it's even possible to work online now, given the pandemic, but I hope it will end soon... I was also depressed at one time that after dropping out of college, I didn't know who I wanted to become. It's good that I had friends who told me about the work of EKG Technician and even showed me this website https://www.exploremedicalcareers.com/ekg-technician/, where everything was described in detail about this work. And after studying for a month, I became an EKG Technician, and now I am proud that I have a profession.
Last edited by MaeReeves on Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnigmaticLila
Getting settled in

Post by EnigmaticLila »

I actually left the country to find work. I did have a job for a while and then quit due to poor working conditions. I moved to the Netherlands to get my masters but now no place I want to work in (medical field, lecturing, etc) will accept me because I don't speak dutch - I'm learning to speak it. In general the system is a mess and the mental health care in this supposed first world country is actually shockingly bad.

Its a mess but basically, no a basic psychology degree does not up your odds at employment in the slightest. If I wanted to become a registered practitioner here (i.e. be able to claim insurance) I need 6 to 8 more years, first off learning the language and then doing interning in which I pay for supervision and courses which amounts to upwards of €30k. I don't have the time or money and since psychologist or therapist isn't a protected title and I have my masters, I just started my own therapy business - if I can't find the job I want then I'll make it.

I am relatively happy in the Netherlands because the transport options are nice and I can get by on a basic salary doing things like cleaning for a living since the minimum wage is actually livable (assuming I can cover rent). I'm hopeful my own business gets traction and I can earn a good income but I have no idea how long that could take.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I've not long come out of participating in a session with Chris who's a Solution-Focused Coach Practitioner
viewtopic.php?t=8383

I've participated in a number of group and one-to one sessions and it might interest you to read about what he does in case it offers inspiration for what you might potentially be able to do online?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Wernie

Post by Wernie »

Have you tried working from home? You can turn a favourite pastime into a source of income. I was out of work too. My favourite occupation was embroidery. I was selling a little on the internet, and then I used this programme [illegal link removed] to create my own online course and published it on social networks. Now I earn good money. You too can try to make money from your hobby.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sat May 21, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Breaches No Advertising rule.
shikhakim

Post by shikhakim »

Considering your unique situation and motor planning issues, exploring online work could be a promising option. You mentioned having a psychology honors degree, which is a valuable qualification. While you didn't get into a master's program, you still have many skills that can be put to good use in the online job market. If you're looking into online work, you might want to explore different freelance opportunities. There are platforms like Upwork, Fiverr, and Freelancer where you can offer services related to your field. Additionally, if you're open to training, there are [URL removed by Admin]. They can provide you with a valuable skill set, and the flexibility of online learning might suit your situation well.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules Breach! No Advertising links may be posted without prior clearance from Admin