The Dreaded Team Building Exercise!

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucy
Getting settled in

The Dreaded Team Building Exercise!

Post by Lucy »

Does anyone have any tips for coping with team building exercises? We have an away day coming up and been told there will be obstacles, team games and 3D puzzles.... needless to say I am dreading it! ](*,)

I've managed to avoid these kinds of things fairly well since school but can't avoid it this time it seems!

Tips and/or empathy both equally welcome responses :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: The Dreaded Team Building Exercise!

Post by Tom fod »

We had an icebreaker once where we were given cotton thread to tie a polo round our waist and dangling down. We then had to swing polo to get it into mouth. One lady refused point blank. Some team building things are pretty if not completely pointless and if you have competitive sporty people, it’s all the worse for it.

I did do Go Ape once which was good for me as was individual and we encouraged each other. Hope it is less bad than you fear.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I had forgotten about all such events, I basically enjoyed social events and reading this remember how I yearned to be one of the gang,

As a child I trailed around going to watch the primary school football team play matches after school, although I was never going to be good enough to play myself and was used to, by the age of 9 or 10 being among the gaggle of five or 6 boys who were last picked to pla, in those sort of matches we played in Physical Education Classes..

How strange to remember that, prompted by the post, sixty years later.

I shall be seventy next month, having known I am dyspraxic for twenty years.

Ps. It s easier to read posts with lots of white space.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I used to be completely overwhelmed by such exercises. very anxious that they would call for something I couldn't do well and that I'd be publicly embarrassed. Still am
Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

Thanks for the responses - it is reassuring to know that I am not over-reacting by being nervous about it! It brings up all kinds of memories from school and the fear of being humiliated in front of everyone. Hopefully it will not be as bad as expected - if nothing else it will be over before too much longer, come what may!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think many people dread so called team building exercises. Especially the really daft physical exercises which don’t really prove anything and risk breaking teams as much as building them as people’s natural competitiveness often comes to the fore.

I recently had team away day. But it was all office and theory based. I’ll be honest. It largely went over the top of my head and I don’t think I know anyone better as a result.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

It sounds horrible. Can't you pretend to be ill?