working long hours

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanAu96
Getting settled in

working long hours

Post by DanAu96 »

I have recently started a chemistry PhD. lab work requires me to stand on my feet all day. unlike my last department people at my new uni seem to work long hours (eg 8am to 6pm) but by 4pm I am absolutely exhausted and i am really struggling to keep up with other people. i believe that this may be due to my dyspraxia as we have to focus more on each task therefore using more energy.
When i leave the lab at 5pm i feel like an utter pillock as everyone is still working.

is there any thing that i can do that would help me work longer without getting so exhausted?
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: working long hours

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I have no advice.

maybe a Trade Union could speak up for you and help you get some adjustments to the work routine.

My experience is the more I do something - the easier it usually gets.

I hope you build up your stamina to get along and well done in getting the job.
Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

I used to have a job that required standing for most of the day - I can't say it ever got easy, but it did get easier as I kept at it and my stamina increased.

That said, I second Andrew's suggestion to think about reasonable adjustments. Is there anything that you would find helpful? For me, I'd ask for regular rest breaks to sit down, or a high stool that would mean I wasn't always completely standing (but not knowing your lab, I don't know if that would actually help!). It's hard leaving at 5 when others are staying later, but you are looking after yourself and your studies by acknowledging when you are too tired to be working effectively and resting when you need to. If the culture is for such long hours - which are not healthy, no matter how common they are - you may even be setting a good example for others.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I agree with Lucy's point. Don't feel obliged to work long hours like others if it potentially means you will make more mistakes that then plague you for the rest of the evening.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Thanks Lucy and Tom.

I used to work, until I was exhausted, I was away from home when my children were growing, now aged 69 I spend almost 24/7 at home, doing nothing in particular, virtually estranged from my children and local community.

I hope DanAu96, responds again as soon as is possible to him and thus helps us build a stronger, more engaged "Dyspraxic Adults" Forum Community.
DanAu96
Getting settled in

Post by DanAu96 »

thank you all for you kind suggestions i suppose I am in a lucky situation that i'm in a fairly flexible working environment. no one can tell me off for leaving at 5 but i do feel pressurised to stay later. we do have stalls in the lab, not many, and i sit down when writing my lab book, but when i'm at the fume hood i can't really sit down as i think its a health and safety problem. if i need a break i can go and sit in the office where i can eat and drink. i really hope it gets easier. during my undergraduate everyone in my lab left around 5pm so i didn't feel pressurised at all.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I've worked from 8 hours to 15 hour shifts before. Exhausted isnt the word that i would describe. The lonest hours i did in a week was 72 hours.