Panel Interviews

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim1983
Getting settled in

Panel Interviews

Post by Jim1983 »

I am currently looking for a job after returning from living abroad. However, I am getting incredibly frustrated at getting to interviews and then getting sympathetic responses outlining how they feel that I'm very talented and knowledgeable on research and research methods (I'm a social/educational researcher) but that unfortunately in this instance they have opted for another candidate. Much of it relates to the most dreaded of dreaded things (at least recruitment wise for dyspraxics) the panel interview.

I keep finding that each position requires me to attend a panel interview. At first, I would mention my dyspraxia during application but then not specifically bring it up at the interview, before realising that HR often did not pass the information on to the panel members. I hate panel interviews, there's too much input happening all at once, I can't sit properly as I feel fidgety and keep worrying who to look at and of course our old friend Mr. Eye-Contact comes into play; basically it always feels as if my dyspraxia goes into overdrive in such situations. After one, I felt so disoriented that I got lost trying to make my way out of the office, and ended up looking like a fool (even heard the panel members begin to giggle once they'd shown me the way out). Now that I'm being more assertive with disability declaration, I've found that responses are more sympathetic, but got the general impression that although they're impressed with my skills and knowledge that they wouldn't want someone with a learning difference managing large research projects (even though that's exactly what I did abroad, I got that work because the company was owned by someone I knew and who had seen me in action and been impressed). Yet, I can't get that opportunity to impress because panel interviews are now the norm for recruiters and panel interviews are a dyspraxic's ultimate anathema. I have a Master's degree from a world top 10 university in Educational and Social Research; which I passed with distinctions. Which, I feel is a pretty rare achievement dyspraxic or not; and I have good references. Yet, I'm struggling to get anything more than temp work.
Does anyone have any similar experiences? Apologies if this has become a bit of a rant.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Panel Interviews

Post by Tom fod »

Not at all. I hate interviews too! Are they competance based?

Do you have stock examples you can bring up in answes about how you overcome difficulty. How you approach and think differently but still get to desired outcomes?

I've had two failed attempts at promotion interviews this year.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim1983
Getting settled in

Post by Jim1983 »

Yeah, I prepare questions based on the job description competencies, however, you never quite no how they're going to frame those competency questions which is where I struggle and become very ponderous in my response, despite knowing exactly what it is I want to say, just that conveying it succinctly can be problematic. I also find that whereas I often consider the detail to be the most important factor, interviewers do not necessarily consider this the case. It is frustrating that often it's the case that although we may be perfectly capable of fulfilling a task, the method through which our competency to complete said task is assessed does not provide the fullest picture.

I'm sorry to hear about your promotion interviews; did they provide feedback as to where you could improve?
Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

Do you have to declare the "disability" when applying for jobs? If I get a diagnosis, I think I'd rather not!
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Helenjohanna wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 pm Do you have to declare the "disability" when applying for jobs? If I get a diagnosis, I think I'd rather not!
NO

I cannot find anything that explains this BUT did come across this

http://enableworks.co.uk/declaring-disa ... lications/
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There is no legal requirement to declare. But of course you can get into the politics of is Dyspraxia a disability (yes it certainly is/can be; it meets criteria of being long term and can and often does have an impact on being able to perform normal day to day activities.

An employer should not discriminate but there is the test of what is reasonable.

Of course if you then tell your employer you feel they are discriminating against you having not declared you won't have as strong a case.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
kombatwombat
New member - welcome them!

Post by kombatwombat »

I know how you feel. I am terrible at panel interviews as well. In fact, until recently I had the goal of becoming a primary school teacher. However, to get into teachers college I had to pass through a panel interview. I failed wasn't too let down after failing the first time and decided to volunteer a couple of days a week at a local primary school for a year until the next intake. I thought that this would prepare me well for the interview, however, I failed miserably again and was pretty much told that teaching wasn't for me and that I should not apply again.

My problem sounds similar to yours. I prepared for the sort of model answers that I would be asked but even a slight difference in how the question was framed would throw me off.

I don't know what the answer to our problem is. However, If I was to sit the interview again I would be upfront about my disorder like you were( I previously chose not to disclose). I would also try and take control of the flow of the interview more. For instance, rather than waiting on the panel to ask questions and me desperately trying to give the best response in a short space of time, I would say something along the lines of "

"Yes I have this disorder and yes it tends to make me come across quite awkwardly in interviews, but". I would then go on to describe where I think I can do well.

I figure that through giving a detailed description of myself I would be able to come across as more honest and assertive. Plus It would allow me to be well prepared for at least one section of the interview.

Maybe you could come in with a bit of a prepared speech like this and describe where you think you were an asset in the previous job you mentioned. Good luck
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Jim1983 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am . . I'm sorry to hear about your promotion interviews; did they provide feedback as to where you could improve?
Yes they did and it was helpful as while I was unsuccessful in both cases, they told me there were parts I was getting right.
Someone also informed me that I could ask for the questions the panel planned to ask in advance of interview, so I thought what the hell and did just that. To me the interview didn't go all that well but I was successful and have been there just short of a couple of months now.

in the first of the two previous failed interviews, I was asked as an icebreaker "What are you most proud of?" I was completely thrown by that and it went downhill from there!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator