Business Administration

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmlc451
New member - welcome them!

Business Administration

Post by jmlc451 »

Has anyone hear ever worked in an office doing Business Admin? I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship at a nearby company. Naturally, I have anxieties about it though. God knows what challenges I will face.

A concern I have is that I will a) tell the employers that my Dyspraxia isn't completely negative b) they will be sold and hire me c) But I will end up being super slow on the job, and oop they fire me
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Business Administration

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I was a bank clerk from 1965 to 1973 doing all sorts of tasks then after a two year training programme a social worker/probation officer from 1975 - 2003. I was active in my trade union and when the admin demands increased in about 2002 I needed help because I was not able to adapt to being self administrating and that led to early retirement.

Unfortuantely I did not suspect I was dyspraxic until 1999 and then had difficuly adapting to that knowledge myself and gaining support from my employer.

I wonder whether you might have some sort of job test before you go right into it, ...... but it also depends on whether you have work now - if not I wonder whether you have got anything to lose by giving it a go.

The equalities legislation gives some protection to folk with a disability like dyspraxia but that requires declaring it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

jmlc451 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am Has anyone hear ever worked in an office doing Business Admin? I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship at a nearby company. Naturally, I have anxieties about it though. God knows what challenges I will face.

A concern I have is that I will a) tell the employers that my Dyspraxia isn't completely negative b) they will be sold and hire me c) But I will end up being super slow on the job, and oop they fire me

Yes

Most Admin will involve maintaining records, processing requests/orders and probably answering enquiries by email and/or telephone. You need to be able to do follow instructions and retain info but if you can convey a) that you are willing to learn and b) with a little help can develop strategies that enable to carry out your duties, you may be able to convince them to give you a chance.Declaring Dyspraxia is a tricky thing as you will often have to explain it to employers who have little knowledge and you need to be able to explain the positives (loyalty and determination and a new way/unique different approach to problems while also explaining areas where you need a bit of additional support and flexibility from them to enable you to produces the desired end result for them.

SCOPE have resources about declaring disability/difficulty and asking for reasonable adjustments.
https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/Disabl ... ts/at-work
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

I think the Dyspraxia Foundation have various information sheets suitable for employers, it could be worth contacting them.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

I think the Dyspraxia Foundation have various information sheets suitable for employers, it could be worth contacting them.
BrisaBlevins

Post by BrisaBlevins »

Are there any guides that will help me in administrating a business?
JuliusRowe

Post by JuliusRowe »

I understand that it can be nerve-wracking to start a new job, but don't let your anxieties hold you back. Remember, everyone learns at their own pace, and with a bit of patience and perseverance, you'll soon find your rhythm in the workplace.It's always a good idea to be upfront and honest with your potential employer about your condition, and if they hire you, they should be willing to make reasonable accommodations to help you perform your job to the best of your abilities.
stacyschrist

Post by stacyschrist »

I've been in a similar spot before. Don't let anxiety hold you back. When I started in Business Admin, I was upfront about my challenges, and it turned out fine. Some employers appreciate honesty, and it's about finding the right fit. Also, it's better to use CRM for nonprofits to improve the results. Just give it your best shot, and you might surprise yourself!