Employee of the Month.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Re: Employee of the Month.

Post by SwervingCentaur »

No, what I'm saying, is that my last job paid more, which means I've downgraded a job just to clean toilets.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

So what were you doing before? How/why dit it come to an end and what do you feel you could do/wd like to do rather than your current job?

What are the barriers to finding something more you and how might you overcome these?

Not requirement to answer those questions here but do mull them over personally and/or talk to a trusted friend or family member about them
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Data entry. Lost it due to taking two days off due to ny dad having a heart attack. I think im going to be stuck in this job for a long time now.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I remember now. Wasn't it an agency job with Royal Mail? Your Dad was rushed into hospital and because you were unable to notify them they decided to let you go. It did feel hardh given it was a family emergency and beyond your control.

Don't let that experience prevent you from trying. Just ensure you have a plan to ensure you get a direct number to enable you to call in if you're sick or unable to go in due to an urgent situation.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Well, the other cleaner is off again! So, I had to do her work this shift, ](*,) she was in work for 4 hours and she didn't do a thing.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Sounds like she is more 'sick of the job' than yourself. Have you asked management what can be done to alleviate pressure on yourself or are you just expected to get on with cleaning duties with no specific direction or thank you for the additional effort you're clearly having to put in?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

She was off again today, but is rumoured to coming back tomorrow, but she will leave if something upsets her. Actually, she was told off because she was taking holidays off without telling anyone, and she only works part-time, doesn't do any work to start with. She's lazy, and I have to pick up what she doesn't do, which is everything. I asked them what is going on to happen, and they said that I will have to do the cleaning until she comes back or they find another cleaner, which they won't, because they will be saving around about 156.6 a week, because they don't have to pay me any more.

There's no budget for the company until April, so no pay rises.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

'Lazy' is your impression and whilst that may be fair assessment maybe she is completely demoralised and views role in a similar way to yourself and or has other difficulties outside of work?

Assuming you have concluded that threatening to resign or just quitting is unlikely to result in any positive or worthwhile change as they are aware you need them as much as they need you?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Helenjohanna
Getting settled in

Post by Helenjohanna »

What a depressing thread! Why don't you look into cleaning people's houses instead of industrial cleaning? Your employer sounds terrible.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I just can't win at this place. Im giving machinery what doesn't work, they ignore problems when you report them. Ive looked for other jobs in my area, most of them are agency, zero hours and with my lack of qualifications, I doubt any company will ever take me on.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

It sounds grim - however - by sticking at a job we build a work reputation which can be important when one does find something more suitable.

Well done for persevering (said from the comfort of retirement)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I think I'm going to be stuck in this place for a while now.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

So, I'm still at this terrible job, I hate every moment of it, and I don't want to be here another second. I would rather be unemployed, and I really mean that. I was on holiday for a month, including the Christmas holidays, and when I had come back, the other cleaner had been sacked and nobody had gone my work. I'm actually sick of it.
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

I am sorry - but giving up a job without another to start - can end up being more problematic than sticking with a horrible job.

I wish I could help.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

I'm past caring to be quite honest. I don't care anymore. They've also given me a job next of supervising someone on a work experience, who has autism, i have no experience with dealing people with autism or supervising.