Strategies to overcome awkward people at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

pixiedust57
New member - welcome them!

Strategies to overcome awkward people at work

Post by pixiedust57 »

Please could you read my blog. I am facing many challenges. https://mystruggles975084648.wordpress.com

In case can't access it:

I work in an office and have the added challenge of having dyspraxia which means that I cannot work quite as quickly as other people due to my processing speed being slower. Since started my first full time job I have faced many challenges and struggles. My workplace has little understanding of Dyspraxia. I ended up on a performance process which I am no longer on partly because I didn't get the support and training I required, lack of understanding of my disability and having a strained and difficult relationship with a colleague who resented me being slower than her. Due to everything that has happened at work over the past year and a half my self confidence as become very low and is easily knocked by a mistake and more importantly unhelpful comments from colleagues.

Currently work is incredibly awkward as we are really short of staff and as a result there is loads of pressure on everyone and one of my colleagues is picking on me and always trying to provoke me and I am finding it incredibly difficult to not let it get to me. I am asking if anyone has got any tips or strategies for dealing with unhelpful comments and provocation and dealing with mistakes. As a result of comments, criticism, blame and stick I am now terrified about making mistakes and feel the pressure to be a perfectionist and feel the need to strive for perfection. I would also appreciate some tips for improving my self confidence and any helpful motivational messages.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Strategies to overcome awkward people at work

Post by Tom fod »

pixiedust57 wrote: I work in an office and have the added challenge of having dyspraxia which means that I cannot work quite as quickly as other people due to my processing speed being slower. Since started my first full time job I have faced many challenges and struggles. My workplace has little understanding of Dyspraxia. I ended up on a performance process which I am no longer on partly because I didn't get the support and training I required, lack of understanding of my disability and having a strained and difficult relationship with a colleague who resented me being slower than her. Due to everything that has happened at work over the past year and a half my self confidence as become very low and is easily knocked by a mistake and more importantly unhelpful comments from colleagues.

Currently work is incredibly awkward as we are really short of staff and as a result there is loads of pressure on everyone and one of my colleagues is picking on me and always trying to provoke me and I am finding it incredibly difficult to not let it get to me. I am asking if anyone has got any tips or strategies for dealing with unhelpful comments and provocation and dealing with mistakes. As a result of comments, criticism, blame and stick I am now terrified about making mistakes and feel the pressure to be a perfectionist and feel the need to strive for perfection. I would also appreciate some tips for improving my self confidence and any helpful motivational messages.
Your Blog link worked but thanks for posting the text here and welcome to our community.

Aside from the nasty back stabbing colleague is there anyone willing to be your ally? It is hard to know how to deal with this person other than remaining professional. Have you ever told her you have a good case for reporting her for bullying and that her attitude is making it more likely that you could make mistakes?

When things are really busy making mistakes is more likely as you likely have to juggle competing priorities and phone calls and demands. Even doing things as quickly as you can errors are bound to creep in and you can only try to correct them when you spot them and if appropriate apologise.You’re doing your best so please remember that and be kind to yourself.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)