terrified please help

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

invisible2014
Regular Poster

terrified please help

Post by invisible2014 »

Hi I'm absolutely terrified as work are trying to get me on first aid course and last Time I did first aid I was humilated as I really struggled due to dyspraxia I feel really scared
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: terrified please help

Post by Tom fod »

Whilst they can't force you, is it something you can reasonably refuse to do? Is there a manager you could speak to so you can inform them about your anxiety and concerns re your aptitude.

Are your anxieties about learning as part of a group and could some one to one pre-course training help build your confidence?

I did a public first aid course at college back in early 90s and while I wasn't so afraid I can understand your anxiety to a degree.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
invisible2014
Regular Poster

Post by invisible2014 »

Hi I'm not really sure I work with children and whilst I would love to achieve this I don't think its possible with me I feel like the tutor will be really rude,they've printed of some dates for me to choose ,however I'm hoping if I don't mention it they will forget.I did tell my manager ib my one I struggle due to dyspraxia with pratical things so worried I wont be able to do first aid
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

"Maybe it is worth asking your employer to ask the first aid tutor/training org for a written committment to providing you with reasonable adjustment (that'll scare em)

What aspects of the course scare you most? The CPR?. Could you seek reassurance and/or meet the tutor to talk about your concerns ahead of accepting enrolment?

Try to envision that you can and will get through and the positives of having a first aid qualification.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
invisible2014
Regular Poster

Post by invisible2014 »

I'm so scared of failing,as my practical skills are not good the last time I did first aid I failed and felt really humiliated by lecture and started crying on way home at hospital.I'm so scared of failing crying and being humiliated and getting really stressed :-(
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

The fear of failure is very powerful and it often opens old wounds. I could liken this to the tragic story of my lovelife (or rather lack of it). I know I should put myself out there but all my previous failures and associated pain come back to haunt me and I feel it is just not worth trying and I should save myself the pain.

This vicious circle of being too afraid to step outside your very small comfort zone and feeling worthless is really hard to break out of. Whilst nice kind people will say caring things, and have some empathy, it is really hard and will all too often feel impossible for so many that any such encouragement will sadly just fall on deaf ears for us.

Sadly we are so much better at remembering and repeating all the unkind things we hear and using these as sticks to beat ourselves with. I really think it would help you to see a counsellor to help you start to change the way you think about things that are difficult and frighten you and how you handle setbacks but I do appreciate this is just as frightening a prospect to start along a long and difficult path.

I hope my words here help you in some small way.
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Further enhancement
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in response to your thread asking if anyone has passed first aid, but I think it fits better here...

I've had to do the brief 1-day first aid training a few times, and a couple of times I haven't needed to do the full day (because I was working with qualified nurses) and only had to do CPR and anaphylaxis, and have passed each time. I made sure I was paired up with someone patient and friendly to practise the practical bits, and we had some slightly hysterical laughter over my first few attempts at bandages, but fortunately the instructor was really understanding and let me practise over lunch. I hated it the first time, but now it's ok - although I still prefer doing it with people I trust if I can.

Can you ask for contact details of the training provider so you can contact the instructor in advance, or ask your work to pass on whatever you feel is relevant to be disclosed? If you're worried about doing it in public, can you ask to go for an hour before the course starts, or spend some time with the instructor during the breaks? Do you work with anyone who has passed, is understanding and wouldn't mind helping you practice some parts in advance?

The other thing I would say is that for me, I've found it easier with some instructors than others, so it's possible you might get a more understanding/helpful instructor who can actually help you, whereas it sounds like your previous one was... not so helpful, to say the least.

If it is making you really anxious, Tom's suggestion of seeking a counsellor could be a really good one. I'm not clear from what you say whether your job might be dependent upon passing the training or whether it's less important than that, but if it is, do seek advice from places like the dyspraxia foundation and ACAS, too.