Feeling Uncomfortable

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BobMcLily
New member - welcome them!

Feeling Uncomfortable

Post by BobMcLily »

Hi there,
This is my first time posting, I found this forum as I was looking for advice.

I have DCD and have known since I was 7. It's caused some work problems before.

I recently lost the iPad I use as a substitute for Pad and paper (I loose a lot of things, I am told this is part of DCD, does anyone else still regularly loose things?)

Work did not provide this iPad, so when it came to a replacement I thought I would request one for Work only purposes to save me loosing my work device.

My boss asked for me to put an email to her in writing for the request, which I did. Later she asked for me to go into further detail to send over to the ICT Support Manager to order the device. I did and went beyond what you can google into the details of how it actually effects me.

Yesterday at a weekend work event (which are fairly rare) my boss informed me that the ICT support manager had forwarded this to three colleagues. Two of these colleagues I am unsure if they need to know, especially if need to know that personal level of detail. My boss raised this with our Director when she found out and the director suspects this qualifies as a Data Breach because I wasn't aware how colleagues were viewing this personal information and it wasn't being used exactly for the purposes needed.

Separately, HR, who do need to know and I don't mind knowing, (already disclosed to them) are suggesting that I go for an OT assessment.

So my questions are:
1. Should I raise that I am upset my details were shared in that way? I said it was fine at the time but the more I think about this the more upset I am.

2. Should I comply with the OT assessment? I have evidence of Dyspraxia/DCD diagnosis (one when I was a child, another a few years ago as an adult).

3. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I honestly love my job and the organisation I work for and would happily just put all of this to bed but I imagine I am going to have some difficult conversations in the next few days.

Thanks for reading,
Bob
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Feeling Uncomfortable

Post by allesandro »

If you raised the issue of your information being shared inappropriately, what good would that do at this point? The information is already out there. Just let it be at this point. As far as being compliant with an OT assessment, why not if it will help you? what do you have to lose?
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Re: Feeling Uncomfortable

Post by Chrido81 »

Unfortunately in my experience, an OT, or Occupational Health referral often means that HR are considering a following a process. It is not always the case, but companies often use these referrals to stay on side with the law. It rarely seems beneficial to the employee in my opinion.

The bad news is refusing OT referrals is often seen as non-compliance, which leaves you wide open to a disciplinary process because you are refusing to work with HR. I would advise that you consent to it, but failure to consent is rarely grounds for dismissal in and of itself. But it can be used down the line as "one factor of many" that can contribute to removal from the business.