Sunglasses and earphones in the workplace !?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JessB90
Getting settled in

Sunglasses and earphones in the workplace !?

Post by JessB90 »

Hey everyone!

Anyone else find offices a general nightmare to work in ?

Noisy printers.. kettles boiling.. artifical white lighting.. papers rustling and the general office chatter :Eek:

All of these aspects take me completely off what I am trying to do.. I have now taken to wearing sunglasses to reduce computer and over head lighting glare.
I also wear earphones or sometimes just earplugs to block out background noise.

What are others people's techniques?
I would like to appear less bizarre if at all possible! :lol:
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Re: Sunglasses and earphones in the workplace !?

Post by SwervingCentaur »

Only worked in one office, but because it was late at night, we were allowed to listening to our music. So the noise of people walking about, or computers, was silenced.
wadams
New member - welcome them!

Post by wadams »

I find the office to loud and noisy, the bright lights really annoy me as well.

Also I fidget a lot so I worry about who is looking at me.

On a side note, dos anyone know how to actually post on this website.

I am kind of new here.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

wadams wrote:I find the office to loud and noisy, the bright lights really annoy me as well.

Also I fidget a lot so I worry about who is looking at me.

On a side note, dos anyone know how to actually post on this website.

I am kind of new here.
Hi and welcome

To start a post of your own Click on New Topic near top and left side of pane just below the section name in the appropriate section.

It is worthwhile/advisable composing longer posts in a word processing or other text editing app and copying and pasting here to avoid the annoyance should you be timed out. Alternatively before you hid submit select what you have typed and copy it so you can re-paste it if you find you have been timed out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

At my last job, we had white noise machines which helped a little, but if you can use ear phones, that's the far better choice in my opinion.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

My mum gets terrible migraines so is always wearing sunglasses where she works due to glare on the computer monitor, the same as you. I don't think there's any problem with doing so.
Chrido81
Getting settled in

Post by Chrido81 »

Earphones for me are a must. I don't so much suffer with light sensitivity, but my noise sensitivity is pretty acute.

People used to call me "Bat ears" because I can focus in on conversations going on at the other side of a large office.

I work in an admin role in a call centre environment. It is generally ok if its an ambient background noise level (except if everyone is shouting then my brain gets pummelled), but the thing that really grates on me is loud voices and sounds that cut wildly above the background level.

Fortunately I can listen to music and I listen to it loud! It's sound of my choice and I know to expect it because I'm in control of it. I am probably 40% more productive when my earbuds are IN!!