What support if any do you receive at work?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JessB90
Getting settled in

What support if any do you receive at work?

Post by JessB90 »

Hi everyone,

I'd love to know more about what support some of us get or could get access to via work.
For me I have access to Dragon naturally speaking as I do a lot of report writing and it improves my speed to complete work. To gain access to this I needed to evidence that this was something advised in my Educational psychologipsychologist report.

What does everyone else have ?
And what do you feel would support you at work ?

Thanks! =D>
allesandro
Power poster

Re: What support if any do you receive at work?

Post by allesandro »

NOT A DROP
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I've only ever received support and help from one job, the rest I haven't, I explained, get nothing. Other times, I just have to do it myself, and then I fall behind, or make mistakes, and the other people laugh, I don't really tell anyone now about my condition.
JessB90
Getting settled in

Post by JessB90 »

Thanks for your replies guys!

I am really sorry to read you don't get any support. Admittedly, I have had to strongly self advocate for my support.

I have contacted the Dyspraxic foundation about this matter and asked how we could raise awareness in the workplace. Perhaps if more people did this is would help us? Power in numbers =D>

So what do you think would help you in an ideal world? For me I would love more time. E.g. double time for writing/ typing tasks.

It seems so wrong that there is no support as we are just as important as anyone else and a difficulty or disability still stands whether it be physical or mental.
We wouldn't expect someone needing a wheelchair to 'get by and manage' with the stairs would we!!

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

There are some good blogs and You Tube channels out there by people including The Two Dyspraxics, Krystal Bella Shaw, DyspraxicMe. Look in our Useful Links area and feel free to add links to any you find or create yourself.

There also some Groups on Social Media sites. I’m a member of a couple on Facebook.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

Now, I don't even tell anyone in an interview or at work that I have a learning difficulty.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It’s a complete quandary. Should I inform a prospective employer about my learning difference or difficulties? Can I manage to put a positive spin on what I say for example I would likely find X a challenge but I’d be willing to give it’s go. Ideally it would be better all round if you assign me to roles at which I excel. Despite my difficulties I am eager to learn and have the opportunity to develop and be an asset to your business. I appreciate many reading this will be ready to shoot this BS full of holes but we all have potential and any worthwhile employer will or should want to harness the different thinking and approach we can bring if they can offer us a degree of flexibility.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
JessB90
Getting settled in

Post by JessB90 »

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes It's a tough question whether to discuss it or not. Personally I have found that in jobs that I have not disclosed my difficulties and 'methods of working' as I like to say it has certainly gone against me for not being honest in the future.
I know that people are never supposed to be able to discriminate against us though we can never really be sure why we wouldn't get a job either.

I normally judge the interview when I am there and bring it up if needed. If there is a box on the form asking of any impairments or health/learning difficulties I always list it.

Generally, I am that half glass full person and explain to potential employers that I would be an asset to the team and bring dynamic- creative thinking. ;)