Resigned from my job today

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

allesandro
Power poster

Resigned from my job today

Post by allesandro »

I've been working a part time fee for service job since September of last year. I told my boss before I started that I would need a lot of support with the computer system since I basically suck in that area, and asked if there was a manual. She told me there was not but that one learned it simply by doing it. Well, long story short she got pretty frustrated with me over the past few months and our relationship deteriorated exponentially. I stopped asking her for help because she would often get rude and condescending when I did, saying that she had already gone over that with me. Considering I have my master's and a great deal of training and experience in my field(I certainly was not hired to do computer work) I expected to be valued more for my clinical expertise than for my computer challenges. Anyway, she began to add more and more to the list of my responsibilities without paying me for this extra time and if I forgot even one small aspect of this free work I was doing, she would get very nasty and sometimes rude/abusive. She hasn't said anything to me in weeks, but today she called me into her office to tell me that a client of mine who hasn't shown up for treatment in a month was never discharged by me, making the client's well being my responsibility. The client's partner had called to say that the client was not doing well and wanted to know if she could obtain emergency psychiatric evaluation for medication. I told my supervisor that I documented her no shows, and my voicemails to her, and that this client simply didn't bother to call back. As far as I'm concerned it's her responsibility, as an adult, to show up for treatment and to return phone calls. If she doesn't that's on her; she's an adult. I also told my boss that the discharge process was long and involved and a lot of paper work and I don't get paid for it, and since I'm only there one day per week, I don't have the time for it. She proceeded to insult me, make me feel stupid, and be abusive basically so that i would feel as though I somehow owed the agency free time and free work because I'm such a f--k up She evenhad the audacity to accuse me of having poor clinical skills. Now I may not be good with computers, but I am an excellent clinician, and all my clients have told me so as well. I told her I wouldn't do it( this extra paper work without being paid ) and that the last time I did it, because I forgot one small aspect of it she was rude. Instead of getting thanked for doing free work I was criticized. So now I told her I wasn't doing any free work, and that she wasn't going to bully me into doing it. So she laid it on the line and basically said, you either do it or you'll have to render your resignation. So I said absolutely, by all means, I resign,
and that if she thinks I should work for free without even so much as a thank you, that's her problem. She told me that according to my contract I had to do the work, and that if I wanted to resign I would have to give thirty days notice, and I told her no. I told her to stick the contract in a place I can't say on here. I told her next week will be my last week. I'm glad I told her off, I'm glad I refused to be bullied into working for free, and I'm glad I quit. But yet still this feels like just another job gone wrong because of my mistakes, poor working memory, and slow processing speed. I feel like I give people an excuse to bully me and that this has been a life long process. I also feel really beat up and bullied that she would use all of that against me to try to manipulate me into doing this s--t ton of extra paper work by making me feel bad about myself.This show down between the two of us has been a long time coming, and part of me also feels relieved to not have to be there anymore. I'm just tired of trying so hard only to still not be well regarded, appreciated or respected. Any advice would be appreciated
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Resigned from my job today

Post by Tom fod »

For the record I think she had it coming and many others would have told her to take a hike (or much worse) a long time ago! Is she the most senior person or is there someone above/below her who could talk sense into her if she is too stubborn to apologise?

I would say I have a good grasp of IT but there are some systems out there for which the developers should be held accountable!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Resigned from my job today

Post by allesandro »

Thanks Tom, She ,at first, denied having been rude and abusive. Then she asked for one example of a time when she had been rude. I gave her the example, without hesitation, and verbatim. She knew I wasn't making it up because I just blurted the whole thing out with skipping a beat. She does have a superior but I don't know how much good it would do me to complain