Talking too loudly at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DisguisedAsAble
New member - welcome them!

Talking too loudly at work

Post by DisguisedAsAble »

Hi all,

I'm really struggling at the moment with not being able to judge the volume, pitch and rate of my speech. I know this is quite common in people with dyspraxia, but most people don't seem to believe me when I try to explain that it's part of my disability and this is starting to cause trouble for me at work. I'm repeatedly being taken aside and reprimanded for 'talking too much' after simply answering questions about the work from my colleagues, and when I tried to explain it was a two-way work-related conversation I was told "well, I can only hear YOU so I think you're just talking too much." I've already disclosed my disability and sent my line manager some info on it, but this doesn't seem to have reached my supervisor, and I get the impression my manager has barely glanced at what I sent her. I'm struggling to explain to either of them that I'm not being deliberately loud and obnoxious, but rather that I can't actually tell when I'm being loud, but I'm worried it'll be treated as either an excuse or a weakness that makes me unfit for my job. Any advice would be appreciated.
Best wishes,

D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Talking too loudly at work

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. Can I ask a question - If this was happening to a colleague would you consider it to be bullying or harassment?

Do you have any colleagues or someone else at your place of work who you could help you with explaining that you are trying to do your best and that constructive criticism is welcome but you deserve to be treated with a little more respect and this kind of treatment not going to encourage you or create a environment conducive to a good working atmosphere.

Hope this helps but please say if this feels impossible?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Talking too loudly at work

Post by allesandro »

I used to be told I was too loud all the time, then I went through a period of overcompensating, and people were always saying, 'what', I think I've reached a middle ground for the most part, although I am aware that sometimes I slip up. I really would make an effort to talk less and practice speaking so softly that people do say, 'what?' that way you know you're being successful. Eventually you can reach a middle ground. Otherwise, I fear you'll just get on your boss's nerves and she'll think you're using your dyspraxia as an excuse. She might then be less believing of you when you're most in need of her understanding