problems at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mina
Getting settled in

problems at work

Post by mina »

feel really bad cause I've just read the minutes from my one to one with my teamleader. She's not very sensitive about my disability and although outwardly she tries she really is quite tactless

Most of the stuff in the minutes desn't really reflect on what was really said in the meeting and now she wants to read my ed psych as well.which wouldn't matter if she I got on with her but she's not a very understanding person

I appreciate that they need that kind of info but i've allready shown it to someone at work who deals with learning diversity and they are asking me to show it to countless other people

It has loads of really detailed info in there and I feel that it's unfair that I have to show it to all these people I have to keep working with in order to get help I haven't asked for

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK IT'S UNFAIR THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A DISABILITY EMPLOYERS ARE ENTITLED TO KEEP VERY DETAILED PERSONAL INFO ON YOU ON THE RECORDS.AFTER ALL IF YOU WEREN'T DISABLED THEY'D HAVE NO BUISNESS ASKING THESE THINGS. IT SEEMS THAT IF YOU WANT TO GET ANY UNDERSTANDING AT WORK YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY
Riddles
Getting settled in

Post by Riddles »

Hi Mina, welcome to the group. I would say that it wasn't necessary for you to give out all this information but I suppose it depends it you want any help, if you do, you may just need to go with the flow and stick with it until you get what you need. Otherwise, if you don't need the help, if you dont want or haven't asked for it then I would suggest you talk to the people that say information needs to be given out or who want the information and say as politely as possible that you really dont want to be giving out this information and if you want any help you would ask for it.

I know I have no personal experience of being at work but I think in most cases if you have a problem then its always best to talk to someone about it, it may not be easy but it sounds to me like its something that you need to do, and with that in mind it may actually help you.

I hope this has been of some help to you, if not I apologise lol
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

It might be worth checking with CAB, Job Centre or whoever else might advise on matters work related as to where you stand with your information being distributed. Generally speaking the Data Protection Act leans towards limiting the dispersion of information to those who absolutely need it. As Team Leader the person is question might well have some grounds on which to see your information, however is there not an individual within the company who is responsible for the disabilities side of things and who would could pass on your requirements to your Team Leader without them having to probe through all your particulars?

Something to look into I'd suggest.

Dan.
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

Hi,
I'm having a meeting with my union rep today to see what they they think.

I have allready shown my report to someone in our department who lectures on neurodiversity so I feel that that should be enough and that my manager and teamleader should just verify my diagnosis with him.
I do know they have spoken to him about it.

I had a meeting with my manager yesterday which didn't turn out to well. one of the things he said was that as far as he's concerned I don't have a disability as he hasn't seen my report.

I'm not really asking for any help other then maybe a bit of understanding
So I'll have to read up on my rights I guess

and off course seeing the union today
If I get no joy I'll check it with the jobcentre thanks for your advice daniel
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Mina,

well I don't think you got too much option, apart from like dan said, in seeing the Citizen's Advice, and the Job Centre,

ok so most people with a disability have learned through their lives not to show a weakness especially in school, and the world has got to arrealize that! just because someone isn't asking for help every 2 seconds, then it doesn't mean they don't have a disability!

and seen as you aren't asking for someone to be standing over your shoulder 24/7 while in work, then they should be more understanding, as it isn't like them paying 2 people to do a 1 persons job.

good luck with finding out what do do, and keep us posted, encase someone else needs the info one day.
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

thanks shadwell,
The only help I've asked for is some understanding that some things may be more difficult for me.
however what I've found in the past is that it can be dangerous to admit that you have any problems at all because other people can start nit picking and blaming everything on you even when your other colleagues also find the same things hard.(I also found out most people aren't as vocal about their rights as I am)
this is why i 'm reluctant to draw to much attention to it because this has happened in the past and it seems that it is starting to happen again.
I was bullied pretty much thoughout my life in shool and employment and found that the attetude to it has been that if you are bullied then it must be your fault there must be something wrong with you to **** other people off like that

sorry about the rant
Anyways I'll keep you you posted on any developments
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

so I've had the meeting with my union rep.
the outcome was that she doesn't think I'm under any obligation to show my ed psych repost as its like medical records it's confidential.
so thats good the bad thing was she basically just said that it just looks like i've got bad management and that she's come accross it in many other departments and that we can't do much about it other then be united amongst ourselves and stick up for ourselves. unfortunatly my colleagues aren't exactly what you'd call teamworkers

She advised me to keep a diary of what goes on and i think this is a good tip for anyone is is experiencing difficulties at work.
I allready knew this but have found it dfficult to do in the past because I've found it difficult to put my thoughts into writing.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I would mention to your personnel department that you are experiencing problems with your team leader and that she does not believe you have a disability even though you have povided proof as your place of work have a duty to you under the disability discrimination act 2005. I would also suggest to them that she needs some diversity awareness training... to bring her up to speed....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
FREEFALL
Getting settled in

Post by FREEFALL »

i'm having problems at work, i work in an office wotu over 100 people odf different shists and because i can't remember there names which i know in retrospect is stupid since it is a trivial thing but i have people walk in and ask me to do something, then to call them afterwards. only they leave and i've got no idea of whom i'm talked too, at times when i've had to deliver a mesage and have no idea who the person was, who passed it on to be i get that look, and you know the one i mean. the "dear god this girls a muppet look" i find it really annoying that some people can be so insensitive
mina
Getting settled in

Post by mina »

thanks for all your advice guys
Sartresue
New member - welcome them!

Work

Post by Sartresue »

Re: Work and Disclosure

I am a new member and have been going through some of the forum postings regarding disclosure options. I appreciate all the advice given. Since I belong to a union I may take up my situation with the union representative should I need a meeting with Management.

Since we are not neurotypical I suppose we will all come across as different.
I must admit I have always harboured a secret thrill because of my differences, both as an Aspie and even because of dyspraxia, because it has enabled me to be more sensitive to others living with individual physical/mental challenges.

Thanks, Susan