Change to my Work environment please help ?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cpr02
Regular Poster

Change to my Work environment please help ?

Post by cpr02 »

Hi

I'm hoping someone might have some hints or tips that will be able to help me ?

Previously I worked in a job for nine years and was desperate for a change my dyspraxia was very well controlled in the previous job and caused me no issues or problems what so ever

My first week is finished in this new job and I'm exhausted ! Ive found it very stressful meeting so many new people and really miss the friends I had made in my previous post and the easy communication I had between them not having to think what to say or constantly wonder how I'm coming across or think of topics of conversation etc I actually find interviews much more easy than day to day conversations with people you have just met - does that seem strange ??

Another issue I have is this job involves a fair bit of travelling and my sense of direction is awful ! - I struggle to remember journeys and routes and am not that an experienced driver I do have a satnav which I will be using but am panicking that people will think that's really strange ? especially if I use it all the time

I'm trying really hard to grasp the routine, what I'm supposed to be doing and to fit in I did ask after my first week and there was no problems with my work

I'm finding it really stressful and constantly feel sick and anxious I really didn't think the change would affect me this badly

Is it worth me disclosing ? its something I'm always wary of doing ? and don't want anyone to think its an admission that I cant do my job

Any hints or support would be more than welcome "!!

I am looking forward to doing the job and hope I could be good at it :( xx
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Change to my Work environment please help ?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome cpr02

Can I say I think you might be being a little unfair on yourself. You're only one week into your new job and it will likely take anyone months to become fully established. You spent nine years in your previous job. I think many of us here including me feel a sense of admiration that you've taken a leap into the relatively unknown.

Disclosure can be tricky in that you cannot always predict the attitude or response if you do. However they are not allowed to discriminate and there is no legal obligation to disclose, though I guess it ought to be encouraged as if they don't know what opportunity do they have to understand?

Interviews are carried out on more formal lines so I don't think it entirely strange at all as it's a 'different type of judging'. As long as you get them the desired result, within reason, it's your responsibility as to how you achieve that.

We wish you every success and hope the anxiety will lessen as you become more settled in.

Hope this is a helpful response?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
cpr02
Regular Poster

Post by cpr02 »

Thank you for your response

I know there is no obligation for me to disclose and to be honest just now I kind of feel if anyone has an issue with it its their problem not mine

I disclosed in my last job which is within the same services so I have my doubts that she may already know if that makes any sense ? as people may have mentioned it its not something I actively hide as such I just don't broadcast it to every person I meet I can be quite open in talking about it

I refuse to disclose on application forms as the wording states a disability that impacts on your ability to function or carry out duties on a daily basis and I don't feel my dyspraxia has ever been that severe it really is quite mild

I guess I cant make up my mind what the best choice is

Thanks for your help
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's a thorny issue and I want to be selected on merit. Due limited awarenes/amount of ignorance I think it's something I'd have to weigh up carefully and agonise over.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)