Think I may be dyspraxic, need some advice..

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mm.1
New member - welcome them!

Think I may be dyspraxic, need some advice..

Post by mm.1 »

So basically I started my dream job working at an airport but one of the requirements for the job is that we must be handcuff trained.
I done my course a month ago and still embarrassed about it all.. I just couldn't do the restraints or handcuff people, I just was so confused about it all, then this made more anxious and resulted in the trainers diverting all their attention on me. I failed the course and the trainers have said I have another opportunity, but before I do the course again, I really want to make sure that I can do it. I'm now at the stage in my life where I am really considering something is wrong with me, I've always been clumsy, and have failed many things similar like cycling test at school, first aid course and lifeguard course... All for the same reasons... I just couldn't do it, my mind goes blank and I feel stupid. I can do the job itself at the moment absolutely fine, I'm intelligent and have a degree, also currently excelling in the role which managers have noticed, but I can't do the physical aspect. I find tasks like making food, ironing, cleaning etc a challenge also.. I always put it down to laziness or being left handed but now I think its more. I feel so ashamed of myself because part of me feels like its my fault, and the trainers were really full on and made me feel absolutely terrible. This course is so simple but yet for me its one of the biggest challenges of my life, I'm not sure if I have dyspraxia or severe anxiety (or both). What do you guys think? Is it worth going to the doctor about this? I feel like I'm the only person in the world that has this feeling :@
Ram
Power poster

Re: Think I may be dyspraxic, need some advice..

Post by Ram »

From what you've said about yourself, there is a fair chance that you have dyspraxia, but take what I say with a pinch of salt since I'm not a psychologist.

It might be a good idea to go to your GP as a starting point, but I should warn you that they aren't always well informed about dyspraxia.

Thus, it might be a good idea to get assessed privately by an educational psychologist if you can afford it. However, I should warn you, they don't say "you have dyspraxia" after they assess you,but they tend to hedge with phrases like "it is likely that you have dyspraxia", which isn't much different from what I said at the start of this thread!
allesandro
Power poster

Re: Think I may be dyspraxic, need some advice..

Post by allesandro »

Some years ago I was in a college program for respiratory therapy. Well, one of the instructors would hold an exam at the end of the course which would include CPR, injecting needles, and a bunch of other hands-on type of stuff. I failed miserably--blanked out. he was abuse, demeaning, and just plain horrible. The test was given to two students at a time so all of this was in the presence of a fellow student. I was mortified. It took me awhile to get over that humiliation. I had no idea I was dyspraxic so I wasn't able to explain to anyone what had happened. Get tested