dyspraxia and stock work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

invisible2014
Regular Poster

dyspraxia and stock work

Post by invisible2014 »

[quote][/quote] Hi ,I went for a job interview yesterday ,was for stock replenishment,I dont think I got the job but was just wondering has anyone had any difficulties with stock work before?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: dyspraxia and stock work

Post by Tom fod »

It's difficult to answer as not everyone is affected the same. This is a question you need to ask yourself as difficulties others have faced are relative to them and the role, they were in and the attitude of their employer and the people they were working with.

We've certainly had people who've worked in warehousing/stock control and some aspects of this sort of job could be very difficult/challenging. You have to do your research by looking at the job description and if necessary asking questions of the prospective employer so that you can identify any areas that you might find a challenge and work out how you can find ways to overcome these challenges.

Questions you might ask yourself and or the prospective employer could include:
- What are the hours and how will get to/from work

- Will I be working alone or as part of a team? Can I meet these people?

- What does the job entail and who will train/mentor me?

- How will I disclose my Dyspraxia? and explain how I'm affected but still reassure a prospective employer that I can do the job
and/or
- How can I be honest and upfront about my potential difficulties/fears whilst projecting a a professional can-do attitude?

- What if I have questions/difficulties? How might these be overcome through reasonable adjustments
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)