Severe Anxiety about start a new job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Keepgoingup2
New member - welcome them!

Severe Anxiety about start a new job

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

I have been unemployed since December, I had one job offer and and I have been invited to a second interview, however my problem has never been showing my personality and skills off to employers in Interviews. Its actually starting the job itself, I kind of lied on my CV about a few positions that I never had in the first place because the job market is pretty tough and I just wanted to get some replies.

I remember working as a care assistant I done pretty terrible even with the basic of tasks like cleaning up poo and putting on pampers on the clients, so how will I cope dealing with multitude of tasks in an office based environment where they expect me to meet deadlines and get from one task to another? Any dyspraxics who successfully manage to establish themselves in a job where it requires a lot of multi-tasking and communication?

I would love to hear your opinions on this topic please?.
Last edited by Keepgoingup2 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Severe Anxiety about start a new job

Post by Tom fod »

Keepgoingup2 wrote:I have been unemployed since December, I had one job offer and ab invite to second interview, however my problem has never been showing my personality and skills off to employers in Interviews. Its actually starting the job itself, I kind of lied on my CV about a few positions that I never had in the first place because the job market is pretty tough and I just wanted to get some replies.

I remember working as a care assistant I done pretty terrible even with the basic of tasks like cleaning up poo and putting on pampers on the clients, so how will I cope dealing with multitude of tasks in an office based environment where they expect me to meet deadlines and get from one task to another? Any dyspraxics who successfully manage to establish themselves in a job where it requires a lot of multi-tasking and communication?

Embellishing ones CV is a calculated risk and might lead to some awkward questions if they try to check out your work history and come to the conclusion it's fictional. It may cause them to doubt your honesty and result in your application being binned. In the case of certain jobs being untruthful in your application might even constitute a criminal offence!

I appreciate you're writing on here in an informal style but you need to be careful to come across as professional so "putting pampers on the clients" really needs to be rephrased to something that affords an appropriate level of dignity to those in your care.

As you'll see in my response to your other post about stock control you need to do your research to establish what the job entails and if the employer is likely to be willing to identify the training and support you need to get up to speed.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Keepgoingup2
New member - welcome them!

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

Tom fod wrote:
Keepgoingup2 wrote:I have been unemployed since December, I had one job offer and ab invite to second interview, however my problem has never been showing my personality and skills off to employers in Interviews. Its actually starting the job itself, I kind of lied on my CV about a few positions that I never had in the first place because the job market is pretty tough and I just wanted to get some replies.

Embellishing ones CV is a calculated risk and might lead to some awkward questions if they try to check out your work history and come to the conclusion it's fictional. It may cause them to doubt your honesty and result in your application being binned. In the case of certain jobs being untruthful in your application might even constitute a criminal offence!

I appreciate you're writing on here in an informal style but you need to be careful to come across as professional so "putting pampers on the clients" really needs to be rephrased to something that affords an appropriate level of dignity to those in your care.

As you'll see in my response to your other post about stock control you need to do your research to establish what the job entails and if the employer is likely to be willing to identify the training and support you need to get up to speed.

Thank you for your advice, you always give good responses to posts here. Sorry about my informal use of ''Putting pampers on the clients'', I am aware the actual term is ''incontinence pads''. So please forgive me. I have always tried to come across as professional as I can in an work based environment, so this isn't really an issue for me.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're welcome. Appreciate the reassurance. Have never worked in care myself always in a comfortable chair in an office environment. I think it is often harder for us to prove ourselves so it feels likely that many do jobs that too many consider to be 'low skilled".
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

Hi there,
Whilst I appreciate your honesty - and this forum is probably as good a place for that as anywhere - I have to say that I regard lying in a CV as the first sin of job-hunting. I do understand that you're anxious to get a job, but as Tom says, I think you might find yourself in trouble when you have to try and back the false information up at the next interview stage, especially as I suspect that dyspraxics are probably not as good at "blagging" as neurotypical folk.
Having said that, if you are successful in getting this or another admin / office-based post, you might find the skills required easier to acquire than those for caring that I imagine need quite a high degree of motor co-ordination. I stuck out a largely office-based government job for 13 years, and whilst I occasionally made gaffs that resulted in tellings-off, my colleagues seemed to regard me as someone who made an effort to get things right most of the time and indeed as being rather too hard on myself. Remember that most of us dyspraxics are determined folk, and things like deadlines can be managed with the help of modern technology e g using the calendar on your smart phone and backing this up with corporate PC-based calendar systems, post-it notes and also a good old-fashioned paper diary.
So good luck with your job search and please - tell the truth in your CV :)
Regards
Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."