Bad backs and feet in the work place.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Callum Kerr
New member - welcome them!

Bad backs and feet in the work place.

Post by Callum Kerr »

Hello, I was wondering if anybody has had problems with regular bad backs and sore feet. Last week I started trial as an Apprentice Butcher (i'm 19 years old), it requires a lot of physical work and it means I have to stand for about 7 hours per day. Everyday after about 1 hour I get a very deep pain in the upper right and the middle of my back as well as very sore feet that hurt to stand on (the pain last for hours after finishing work). It was pointed out by a family member that I have very poor upper body posture and can't even stand straight (I didn't even realise this was a problem), I was just wondering if bad posture and pain in the back and feet was common in people with Dyspraxia and if anybody had any tips or solutions on trying to improve my posture.
welshwizard
Getting settled in

Re: Bad backs and feet in the work place.

Post by welshwizard »

(Disclaimer to start - I know very little about what is or isn't common in Dyspraxia apart from the core symptoms)

But... I have had general vague problems with feet, lower back, and posture. Have you ever been assessed for orthotic insoles? I used to get a lot of lower back pain after jogging until I got measured up for supportive trainers - turns out the pain was related to being flat footed and to over pronation. Don't know if that's useful or relevant to your situation. If the pain is from standing rather than walking, I'd suggest investing on the most comfortable shoes you can. Most of the jobs I've worked have involved long hours on my feet and I've discovered that even slight discomfort in shoes is magnified enormously by the end of an all day shift!

It can never hurt to talk to your GP if you have persistent problems with anything health related. They might be able to refer you to an OT/physio, who might have some ideas and/or exercises that could help?

Hope things improve!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

welshwizard wrote:(Disclaimer to start - I know very little about what is or isn't common in Dyspraxia apart from the core symptoms) . . .

It can never hurt to talk to your GP if you have persistent problems with anything health related. They might be able to refer you to an OT/physio, who might have some ideas and/or exercises that could help . .
You probably have a more informed physiological appreciation than myself. Completely agree with the talk to your GP advice as he she is the front door access point for referral to an OT/physiotherapist.

Logic suggests that some symptoms associated the condition logically make us more prone to muscular/skeletal complaints.

@Callum

Apprentice Butcher is definitely something that to many is pushing the boundary of what people with Dyspraxia are capable of. I hope your GP can help you find some practical solutions to alleviate your pain and you can succeed as a butcher.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

Callum,
Unfortunately we dyspraxics are often dogged by poor muscle tone in the hips / glutes / core that make it difficult for us to stand with good posture. Do you get much exercise apart from in your job? If not, part of the problem might be you just getting used to the physicality of the work, and perhaps some of the aches and pains may wear off with time and experience. If you don't already, it may help to go to some exercise classes to develop core strength especially. I've had lower back problems most of my adult life and standing for any length of time is pretty uncomfortable, though better now following advice from physios, doing pilates and other regular conditioning training. My posture seems to have improved from doing those and my (unqualified) advice would be:
- Try and stand as tall as you can
- Consciously hold in your stomach (it becomes less conscious after a while!)
- Keep your knees soft
- Try and stand evenly on your feet so that you always feel 6 points of contact with the ground.
I think welshwizard is right about your footwear. If you can get a pair that fit, some Airwair / Doc Martens might be good.
I hope you enjoy your work as a butcher and that it will become more comfortable with time.
Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

Hi Callum

Id like to generally echo what was said by the others here. I'm a promoter of health and fitness in general for anyone, neuro diverse or not; Nobody should have to live with back pain, no matter what your job is.

My advice (I'm no expert or medical professional) would be to seek a form of mild strength and conditioning program (Pilates -and yoga would be good) and also a chiropractor who would be able to adjust your posture.

These things do sometimes cost money, but for me I tend to see these things to see an investment in my body. And you ever no what these things may lead on to.