Stacking shelves

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Stacking shelves

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Hello, im writing this from my phone, so execuse the sentence structure, if there is any puncation problems

So ive just started a new job in a supermarket stacking shelfes. From the get go, I was meant to know where everything was and such like. My job is to unpack and stack up baby stuff, so nappies, food, milk and so on. I can do this in my way which I know isnt good enough, my manager says I need to unpack about 70 boxes in 30 minutes, if I dont know where it is, leave it and come back to it later, but that would just leave the floor with a lot of stuff. If I could unpack my section, I should but no garntee, be ok.

I dont know, im on the verge of being sacked for being too slow and not being good enough for them. It took me ages to get a job and I really need it for when I go back to uni.

This is definateily making me feel stupid and worthless. Like if I cant do this, what job can I do? My manager asked me if I had ADHD I said no, im not hyperactive. I got told its not about that, its about not being able to conterenate. Maybe its not something to be proud of, but at least I know the difference bewteen ADHD and ADD. I mentionted I had Dyspraxia, never even heard of it. When I explained parts of it, he said that it was a type of ADHD!

My manager isnt horrible, I can see where hes coming from and I know for a fact hes going to tell me off again, but sick of feeling like this, like what job is there me?

Thank you for reading this
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Stacking shelves

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

Stacking shelves whilst sounding theoretically like an easy job is probably anything but. The idea of unpacking 70 boxes in 30 mins is making my head spin as to be honest it sounds impossible and I think you need to have the freedom to do it in a way that is workable and comfortable for you.

I guess it's good that your boss has accepted you're having difficulty but it is not exactly helpful that he is seems to want to pigeon hole you as ADD/ADHD because of the little bit he thinks he knows (vis a vis concentration difficulties). Dyspraxia is a different kettle of fish even if there are some parallels (including some difficulty with concentration). Not everyone with ADHD, or ADD or Dyspraxia is going to be the same as another person with the same condition(s). (rant over)

If I was in the middle of a pile of 70 boxes I reckon I'd struggle or freak out as it would just be far too much to try and deal with at once and the result would be utter chaos and some choice language. You're not useless or worthless. it's just a task that isn't particularly well suited to your abilities so they need to be imaginative/allow some extra flexibility to enable you to achieve the desired end result in your own way.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Thank you, couldnt agree more ☺. I think he just thinks that I dont do anything or just wondering around aimlessly. My wondering arounds have a point to it. I dont know if this a Dyspraxic trait or not but time just escapes me. Like I would be thinking that ive only spent half an hour doing something when actually its been an hour, and its like woah, I cant actually believe I spent double the time on something. This has happened before. Ive had no support in dealing with Dyspraxia at work at all in all the 8 years ive been working. Maybe im at Uni, they could help me.

The way ive been spoken to is a little concerning. He thinks and actually said that he will talk like this, (this being in a very literal and slow way)as it is the only way he thinks information would be stored in my head to remember. So instead of saying "that goes here and the rest go here", he will say "these go on this shelf and only this shelf, you got it? So where does it go?" Me "on that shelf". The first quote can be very vague, but if I get shown im ok. I dont need the very literal comments if I get a demonstration as well, even though people being literal in the workplace is what I need. I mean theres a difference between can you put this green piece of paper in the white tray please and see this green piece of paper?, well can you walk up to the white tray, place it down with the other papers and walk back to me please.

But yes, I think its good hes trying to at least try and support me but as you said, as long I do my bit without putting in the wrong place whats the harm? Oh also I think this is wrong but I dont actually know for sure. I get three half an hour breaks, properly because they dont think I derserve anything longer. Everyone else gets one hour break and two half an hour breaks. Im assuming it is because imjust too slow for them
andrew_b
New member - welcome them!

Post by andrew_b »

Hi shadowgirl. I think once you've worked out where everything goes you'll be really fast at filling the shelves, it's just that it takes us a bit longer than most people to actually get things like shelf layouts into our heads. So don't give up! Also you need to check what's going on with the break situation. If you really are getting less breaks than everyone else the shop could be guilty of discrimination against you, but just check and see what's actually going on. You still get more breaks than me though... 30 minute meal break followed by a 20 minute refreshment break later on. In a 12 hour shift!
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Woah! Thats terrible! I hope your job isnt too physically demanding because that can not be allowed for a 12 hour shift!

I think ive been fired now. They said it was down to allowing everyone an equal chance to be able to work their. Fair enough, but why arent I still getting a timetable and just working two days a week or something? And you know, tell me whats going on! I cant complain though, that job was affecting my happiness and state of mind so I am glad, just worried about my future jobs.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

It sounds as though you're coming to the conclusion that stacking shelves for this particular employer is not a job that is particularly suited to your abilities or wellbeing. What hours were you contracted to do?. I believe that since you are still on a roster/timetable you are still employed, though it would not hurt to ask the question directly. Depending on your contract Ts&Cs you may be due a written notice of termination and you should receive a P45 form detailing tax and national insurance contributions.

Your employer could be found to be in breach of their responsibilities if they treat you less favourably than fellow employees. I would urge you to consider talking to someone at the citizens advice bureau or employment service and perhaps putting a complaint in writing so they can be forced to improve their treatment of and fulfil their duty of care towards other/future employees.

I believe the rules for shift working are different, whilst 45-50 mins break in 12 hours is not very much, I believe it is typical. Of course there may be other rules for example in respect Health & Safety, depending on the role being carried out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)