What is your job?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Geeky_Vegan
Getting settled in

What is your job?

Post by Geeky_Vegan »

I find this topic interesting because I find a lot of Dyspraxic people find office work suitable for them.

However, I have always worked in care/childcare as I am a naturally caring person, but I am also a naturally creative person.
I work as a Care Assistant in a Dementia care home, but I have decided to pursue a career as a full time writer.

I'd love to know what you guys do!
Blowing out my candle won't make yours shine brighter.
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Re: What is your job?

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I'm a face painter!
I'm about to set up my own face painting and balloon modelling business, but it's pretty intimidating o.o
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
Clumsy
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy »

What a cool question!

I'm a sales executive for an insulation company. I work in an office, its chaos at best, and unbearable at worst. My desk is usually a tip, but I try and keep a pile of urgent things and a pile of not quite so urgent things. And also try to control what comes onto my desk. Its not uncommon for me to print something, purposely leave it on the printer, someone bring it to my desk for me and me to take it back to the printer knowing that its printed, but i'm not ready for anything else to enter my atmosphere just yet!

I think i'd prefer an outdoorsie kinda job, but I stay here as I find although my clumsiness does become the butt of jokes, my colleagues and bosses have a bit of understanding for me, and don't like the idea of change, surprise surprise!!
Geeky_Vegan
Getting settled in

Post by Geeky_Vegan »

OneClumsyDragon wrote:I'm a face painter!
I'm about to set up my own face painting and balloon modelling business, but it's pretty intimidating o.o

Cool :D I tend to find people with Dyspraxia are caring or creative, which is why I wanted to do this :)

Good luck, by the way!
Blowing out my candle won't make yours shine brighter.
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

Great question.

Will be interesting to see more replies.

Sigh, I'm always looking at jobs thinking 'I can't do that'. Or no way can I be a manager, for example.

I'm a support worker in the mental health field. I'd like to go to university and study social science and social policy. Perhaps then work in the advice field. I used to volunteer at the CAB and I Trained as a general and a debt advisor. But taking it further and being responsible for my own case load scares me.

I AM going to return to university though.
RiverJordan
New member - welcome them!

Post by RiverJordan »

I'm a doctor.

endless exams have been fun and games....
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I'm a software engineer (basically a programmer ).
Its mentally tiring at times but very interesting always something new to learn or a different problem to solve.
I know a lot of Dyspraxics are very arty and creative and I've always kinda secretly wanted to do something like that but unfortunately I have like 0 artistic ability, oh well ...
Actually kind of jealous of those of you who are gifted like that ;) .
mediastar

Post by mediastar »

I have a part office, part frontline job, the office part is sooo difficult for me, I am good at making a quick rapport with people so the frontline bit is quite easy, the teams I work with and the clients all seem to like me, but I find the office part, the drudgery of data entry for example, which seems to have gone from around a third of my time to longer now, impossible to manage and I am being told they are considering a disciplinary route, possibly as a stick to "encourage me with" (which is accomplishing the direct opposite). I also have to travel to the office then on to the venues where I do my frontline work. I find the idea of travelling on the more crowded buses distressing and anxiety raising, I can't drive, it makes my brain want to melt and run out of my ears, when I need to be calm to do the frontline stuff, I don't think the boss gets how hard I find it and I feel like a broken toy and damaged goods
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

mediastar wrote:I have a part office, part frontline job, the office part is sooo difficult for me, I am good at making a quick rapport with people so the frontline bit is quite easy, the teams I work with and the clients all seem to like me, but I find the office part, the drudgery of data entry for example, which seems to have gone from around a third of my time to longer now, impossible to manage and I am being told they are considering a disciplinary route, possibly as a stick to "encourage me with" (which is accomplishing the direct opposite). I also have to travel to the office then on to the venues where I do my frontline work. I find the idea of travelling on the more crowded buses distressing and anxiety raising, I can't drive, it makes my brain want to melt and run out of my ears, when I need to be calm to do the frontline stuff, I don't think the boss gets how hard I find it and I feel like a broken toy and damaged goods
Is your employer in any way dyspraxia aware and have you told them about your dyspraxia? Is there any way the administrative burden could be simplified or lessened. I appreciate there are most likely formal requirements for a record but it makes sense to make it easy as possible for employees to input the resultant info accurately and there ought to be a case for reasonable adjustments to avoid the counter-productive step of putting you on a capability regime.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Skyegal23

Post by Skyegal23 »

I am in childcare, I run the two year old room
RGabb
Getting settled in

Post by RGabb »

Im a 2nd/3rd line IT Infrastructure Support Engineer. I'm an apprentice currently. Its going really well, its little bit difficult sometimes to adjust to a new setting and how to set your self out , coming from MacDonalds to an office environment.
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

I am a deckhand on board marine transportation boats/vessel.
I'm of work to get my confidents up again for I ran into bs at work.
But love the job, keeps my brain activated for I have to drive the damn thing in all weathers. So it can be intense when captain is breathing down your neck cuz your his right hand man on the bridge. Little to none screw ups or its $$ , or flack from 200 people on board who has to trust in u...

Almost like driving a plane jet the guy sitting next to captain, although it's in water instead of Air.
Hope I can go back to the job though, we see if my anxiety slims down.
Max Malini

Post by Max Malini »

I am a professional magician. I also teach and design magic effects. I have designed magic for tv. And had my consepts performed all over the world. I do struggle with touch which is hard being a magician. But I'm very lucky I found something I love and that I'm good at. I have found because I move different from other people this has been a aset as a magician two.

Max
Outdoors&flowers

Post by Outdoors&flowers »

I am a home carer and also ride and look after horses. I was also milking this winter but I was too slow which stressed me out although I loved it
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

My official job title is somewhat under review but... In essence I'm a hybrid between an administration and call handler. I work in what is effectively a call centre for district nursing. Previous to that I did support work in mental health.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: