About to get fired, need some advice.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Keepgoingup2
New member - welcome them!

About to get fired, need some advice.

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

I have been in a job for a month. I work part time as a carer, a few people have been saying I am too slow on the job, and now my manager has given me a final warning. I don't know what to do, I really need money so I cannot afford losing this job. It took me at least 8 months to get this job , so I know first hand how hard is it to get into corporate job market.

What makes so different to others in the workplace?, Why can't we just click and do tasks the first time without struggling or needing to do everything over-again.
ssuma

Re: About to get fired, need some advice.

Post by ssuma »

Keepgoingup2 wrote:I have been in a job for a month. I work part time as a carer, a few people have been saying I am too slow on the job, and now my manager has given me a final warning. I don't know what to do, I really need money so I cannot afford losing this job. It took me at least 8 months to get this job , so I know first hand how hard is it to get into corporate job market.

What makes so different to others in the workplace?, Why can't we just click and do tasks the first time without struggling or needing to do everything over-again.
Whatever you do. Do not panic. I know it is easier to say than done. However, I honestly don't think there is any way out of it. We dyspraxics obviously needed a longer learning curve, so you cannot force yourself to do something you do not know how to do and need time to learn.

Hope I don't sound obnoxious but it sounds like you are not getting along with some people in your workplace. You might want to reflect why they treat you that way? Try to see things in their shoes. What problems are you causing them? Is there anything you can do to make things better. If so, then you will need to learn to adapt and get better so they will change their views of you. However, the problem might also lie with them and not you. There will always be people that are rude and impatient, there is nothing you can do about it.

You could try your best to explain your condition to them (when you and others are free) and see if there is anything they can help. However, if they won't bother to even listen or understand, there is really nothing you can do. Sometimes problem does not always lie with us, but also them.

This might not be the best suggestion, but I suggest you should try your best to be yourself, work your hardest and not let other's prejudice and negativity influences the way you act. Confidence makes a big difference. :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Keepgoingup2,

does your boss know you have dyspraxia? if yes/no, as far as I am aware it doesn't matter. I would seek out Citizens Advice on Disability Discrimination Act. as if your boss decides enough is enough.

my problem is definitely speed, as my left hand doesn't speak to my right hand, and my eyes see things well before my brain!!

what you need to do is try to put down in words what/why you have the problems? and I am sure most others will give helpful advice, but my main advice would be to get some sort of legal advice in the mean time.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

To add to what my fellow mods have already responded with (Thank you Ssuma and Shadwell).

I'm sorry to learn you're having trouble. It's never helpful as the extra worry will make it even harder to stay focussed and get things right so you can perform your duties to the accepted standard.

As far as the warnings you've been given, have they been spoken or written? Do they clearly detail the aspects of your role that you need to improve in. What support have you asked for and has any training and support been offered or given to you since you started?

If you're still in a probationary period you may not be able to do much to escape dismissal. However, are they an employer you'd want to stay with long-term if the working environment is toxic and unsupportive?

I'd definitely second the idea of contacting Citizens Advice. Is your job with a large organisation or a smaller private concern. You could also try the Dyspraxia Foundation's helpline.

You may wish to request some time to speak to your manager (It would be good if there was someone who could accompany you and provide some moral support) to discuss what you do well and the areas you're struggling with and any ideas that would help you to meet the standard they want and how you can work together to help you become a valued member of the team. That way they save the time and expense of finding and hiring someone else.

Disclosure (telling them up front about your Dyspraxia) while recommended can be a poison chalice as people are sadly often ignorant of dyspraxia and may make unfair judgements based on their often incorrect opinion of what someone with dyspraxia is capable/not capable of.

I had a part time and short term admin job many years ago. I found it hard because I'd forgotten half the tasks/procedures by the time my next days in the following week came around We have quite a few people here who working in care so you may get some more replies from people who have faced the same kind of difficulties. If you have any more questions or need to vent please don't hesitate to ask here.

The political/social climate in Britain post EU out vote is a bit uncertain and sadly in some cases toxic too. I really hope you find a useful and workable solution.

Very best regards
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

but what I would like to say is try also to think outside the box, so think of ways they could profit from you being there, so maybe I don't know maybe you can work efficiently by making the beds, making tea, and coffees, doing paper work. answering the phone, as doing other work might also make them see you are profitable to the efficiency of the care home, rather than someone that they need to keep an eye on all the time you are there, and then the other staff have got the time to do the jobs that you really seem to struggle with. but also be prepared to give them a hand with maybe 1/2 the work load that you would struggle with. so you aren't totally avoiding the job, but becomes more a shared job.