Dispraxic people working retail?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

RobertoYeah
New member - welcome them!

Dispraxic people working retail?

Post by RobertoYeah »

Got fired a retail job before and today was my first day for a new retail job. Told the manager I was Dispraxic and she said "We will see how we go" Which considering the shop says not to treat disabled people any different and talks about giving them a chance and support to work it didn't seem really mean it. I felt overwhelmed a bit and hope I can remember everything I need to do. If I got fired from this I'm done with retail but that is almost all that is available where I live so I don't know what to do then.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dispraxic people working retail?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Awareness is sadly still lacking in many quarters, but equally we're all individuals and in many ways we have to tlearn to know ourselves and educate our employers who should hopefully be willing to listen and allow us some measure of flexibility and get the best from us.

There are some examples from other people who work in the retail so try using the search facility.

If you have any specific questions or concerns please do ask
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

It is possible to work in retail and be dyspraxic. Last summer I worked in a primarily retail based job on a theme park, which I was reasonably successful in (amazingly given that my background to that point wasn't in that type of work).
Keepgoingup2

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

Retail can be a fast-paced environment for alot of Dyspraxic people. You have to be on the get go(tilling,stocking etc), especially when working in a store that get lots of customers all at one period. I'm not saying that we as dyspraxic people won't succeed but it can be a nightmare for many of us, since we process information very differently to others.
pendragon
Getting settled in

Post by pendragon »

I worked in retail for three years, only moving on when I was redeployed and the role no longer suited me. Before that, I'd declared my disability and the team were very supportive and accommodating.

Like most work issues, it all boils down to the management. If you're working in retail again, make sure you go for a disability positive company (it'll be mentioned on the website somewhere).
XIX

Post by XIX »

I have worked in retail before and didn't feel it was the right structure for me, lack of support and understanding. If, you get it to work with you, it helps but there is support out there, such as work choice that help people get into work and support you during your time at work, it's usually with the jobcentre this comes about. Maybe keep a few notes on how each day goes and reflect on things to see whether this is the thing for you. If you're working in it because that's all that's about perhaps, you need to try and expand on what you enjoy in life, what you feel works for you and what doesn't, do you like helping people, do you like being creative and so on. I got asked by a retail employer once to explain what Dyspraxia was. Try to not force yourself into something, you're not comfortable with. That's all I can advise.
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

HI
That must have been a really hard on your confidence. If you really want to work in retail maybe someone could give you some coaching on some strategies to help in the workplace.
Sometimes starting in a very small retail shop can help, as smaller space to navigate and not as many staff to get used to.
I have a relative who started in retail a few years ago it was a very small shop she did cleaning and computer work for them.
this built her confidence and she then went to another small store but was a shop assistant for over a year and she has now got a job in a cafe and was very excited as he has been trained to be a barista and is making the coffee and working on the till.
She would never have thought she would have got this far two years ago.
You may not have find the right place for you yet but it doesn't mean you wont.

Best Ditsy