Can I do it?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tanv
New member - welcome them!

Can I do it?

Post by Tanv »

Okay so I'm currently unemployed and living with my parents which sucks as my mum actually triggers my anxiety, she doesnt know she does it but she has a tendency to highlight my bad points and make me feel really inadequate.

Well I learnt today I have a On Job Evaluation and Interview at Mcdonalds next week and I told Mum about the upcoming interview. Now I'm doubting whether I can even do this job. Mum tells me I can't do it as I struggle with cash handling (true) and i'll be slow as it's a fast paced environment. Am I wrong going for this job? Should i tell them I have Dyspraxia? Not sure what to do to be honest. It's pretty much the first interview I've had in 6 years

Any advice will be much appreciated
Ram
Power poster

Re: Can I do it?

Post by Ram »

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is being less than positive or supportive. Of course I have no idea whether you'll be able to do the job at McDonald's. But what do you have to lose by gIving it a go?

I personally have never worked in a fast food environment. From what I know about the jobs there though, they may actually suit some dyspraxics because although fast they are mechanised and routine based. Dyspraxics often work well under such conditions even if they may struggle to keep up at first.

I would say that it's a good idea to disclose your dyspraxia at the interview and ask them about the jobs that the position will involve. It may help to prepare yourself for the job by practicing some of the common tasks at home to get the hang of it (including cutting vegetables, slicing buns, cleaning and cash handling). Often dyspraxics need extra practice to survive at a job but ultimately prove to be perfectly capable given time.

Anyway, I hope all goes well for you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lauren

Welcome to our community. A lot of us suffer with anxiety about how we'll cope or about things that might go wrong for which we'll be blamed. I think we're all to capable of having our own doubts without other people unintentionally reinforcing those we have or adding more.

I hope your Job Evaluation and Interview go well. You could also think of it as you evaluating them as to whether you think they can offer you the right opportunity to shine and show what you can offer to them as a team member. Things might be difficult but given the right environment you really can make a useful contribution and a good employer will help you find that in yourself and bring it out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Tanv,

I'd always say give it a go (which you may well have by now :) ) what's the worst that could happen? you don't get the job and you've lost nothing (not that I'm saying you wont get it) or you may get it and love it but if you don't try you'll never know.

I agree with Ram that you should tell them about your Dyspraxia in my experience its always bet to be honest and up front about these things.

Sad to hear that your mum is so discouraging though, if some one tells you often enough that you can't do things it can become self-fulfilling and when its someone as close as your mum it just magnifies things even more.
Keepgoingup2
New member - welcome them!

Post by Keepgoingup2 »

All you can really do, is go and try. I had severe anxiety for many years and I couldn't take on much jobs either, because I felt I was slow or just clumsy, even if you get fired take it as a experience to learn from your faults in the future.