Career help!

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

crazyewok
New member - welcome them!

Career help!

Post by crazyewok »

I like money

And I like nice things.

For that reason I got myself a degree in Bioscience and worked some crap lab jobs for measly pay to get the experience to go into the career of a Biologist in the pharmaceutical industry.

And I suck at it.
My dammed memory and organisation skills cant deal with the precise movements needed for lab work and the mounting of paper work.
I am already on my last warning.

If I lose my job I don’t know what to do!

I don’t want to end up stacking shelfs or in a mediocre dead in job or rotting on benefits.. I want a respectable career that makes enough to live on with a middle income life in this dammed over expensive country.

I know I sound like a snob. But just because I lost the genetic lottery and got cursed with this god awful disease I don’t want to consign myself to the bottom of society.
Im going nuts with stress here.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Career help!

Post by Tom fod »

crazyewok wrote:I like money

And I like nice things.

For that reason I got myself a degree in Bioscience and worked some crap lab jobs for measly pay to get the experience to go into the career of a Biologist in the pharmaceutical industry.

And I suck at it.
My dammed memory and organisation skills cant deal with the precise movements needed for lab work and the mounting of paper work.
I am already on my last warning.

If I lose my job I don’t know what to do!

I don’t want to end up stacking shelfs or in a mediocre dead in job or rotting on benefits.. I want a respectable career that makes enough to live on with a middle income life in this dammed over expensive country.

I know I sound like a snob. But just because I lost the genetic lottery and got cursed with this god awful disease I don’t want to consign myself to the bottom of society.
Im going nuts with stress here.

Hi and welcome Sorry to read things are crap

I feel I understand where you're coming from and you need your self respect (it's not necessarily snobby). You're clearly intelligent and have some ability so would no doubt be driven mad by a job where you cannot see that you're making a meaningful contribution (though most jobs will feature some drudgery/turning the handle).

Is your employer aware that you have this condition/have you asked for or been offered any assistance/support? Are there other roles/opportunities to which you are better suited? Could your employer be flexible enough to build a role around you?

I know it can and does very much feel like you're admitting failure, as by asking for help you will feel you have left yourself wide open to be judged by your employer and peers. At the time I found this site, I was in a pretty uncomfortable position in my job and had to face the revelation that I was dyspraxic having not really understood why I was struggling with a lot of things and beating myself up about it all.

Hope this is something of a start.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: because I can
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Yossarian
Getting settled in

Post by Yossarian »

I have never been diagnosed as being dyspraxic. That said, I can appreciate the position in which you find yourself.

A few years ago, I had a well paid career that I had worked very hard to obtain. In this job, I was expected to use a number of computer systems and to juggle a large amount of paperwork and report writing.

I began to struggle with my workload and to make a certain amount of mistakes. Using the computer systems felt like navigating a labyrinth. My sense of direction is non-existent, which was also important to this career. My supervisor eventually accused me of concealing a learning difference. Things continued to decline and, exasperated, I resigned.

In retrospect, I should have called his bluff and asked for the organisation to have me medically assessed (they would have done this). I strongly suspect that this assessment would have revealed me to be dyspraxic and I would then have had grounds to ask for support in order to perform the job to the best of my abilities.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to explore all the options available to you. If you are struggling, ask for support. If support is not forthcoming, look towards your professional union for advice and assistance. You have clearly worked hard to obtain your current position and you should not be barred from fulfilling your potential simply because you happen to have been born with dyspraxia.
crazyewok
New member - welcome them!

Post by crazyewok »

Well they do know Im Dysphraxic and are being helpfull and trying to work around it.

But its still hideing in me like a demon and I am petrified it will hit me when I least expect it.

Because of the job I do I can only have so many mistakes before they have to dismiss me for capability.