In a catch 22

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

magpie84

In a catch 22

Post by magpie84 »

Hi I won't go in to all the circles I gone through, hoops I have jumped to get to this place in my life (31 and diagnosed just last year)...i am sure many of you on here can imagine the mountains you struggle ..but basicaly my dyspracxia affects me so diversely that almost everything seems to be a no no.

I have been a concientious nursery nurse, retail assisstant...office administrator (voluntary) ..adult project assisstant (voluntary)..i have a degree...but undiagnosed i struggled came out with a 2:2 and had to transfer credits. I have 5 highers all at A or B..i have had 6 voluntary jobs... a childcare qualification..but been made redundant..then worked in a call centre on a 0 hrs contract. I a now at the point, i am eligible for no funding to boost skills i need for anything else..being asked for any more voluntary work to go through weeks of training plus 2 refs i have not got as i been out of work for a year...and nobody i been referred to will say much more than, not much provision for support with dyspraxia (am in scotland- there is no adult support. ) I have had to HAVE THE paid job already to apply for something new...i want to work in administration or with adults..but my voluntary posts do not count as enough experience.. the voluntary posts available want to take me back to the basics. i have no porblem volunteering but whenever i have it always winds up that the paid jobs don't consdier it enough experience. i feel i need to move completely to ever get a chance in life. but how do i relocate without a job? all the services seem to be south of the border..such as they are for adult support. i don't have a single other contact in scotland who also has dyspraxia that i know of...and when i try to explain even to professionals i get told..ohh i think those difficulties everyone suffers to some extent. i am drained and tired of never being given a chance. my friend landed a role somehow as a disability adult workshop leader (seemingly she is indispensible) but for a charity..i wish i could have been a fly on the wall. she ridiculed me for every difficulty i had before i knew what i was suffering from claiming: my 12 year old sister could do that...or my 2 year old son could... (if she let her 2 yr old son tune television i am guessing!) ...anyway she never worked a single volunteering day in her entire life...she has the gift of the gab and worked in a lingerie shop before she started working with adults...HOW???? i will never know. i applied to same company offering drama and creative writing workshop skills i had already done on a volunteer basis ..as a facilitator,. after i seen she got the job with no experience..i made a point id been a facilitator also , they wanted me simply to volunteer as a facilitator asst for classes they ran already. I decided no. i will volunteer rest of my days in ADDITION to a paid role..but i feel my dyspraxia is rendereing me as only valuable enough and indispensible....free of charge.

I feel i have an array of skills in spite of my difficulties and i have proven that, i have had to work as a nursery nurse in many places, under strenuous circumstances and have achieved it in spite of difficulties i could nt put my finger on. i was bullied for my slowness and yet i put in extra hours for no pay when i felt i was behind...i just want someone to take notice and say wow ur experience to date is great and i can see u done so much already unpaid and i think now we want to give you the chance..but they never do. i have moved cities in scotland just to get the right kind of work and they always go back to the same thing...we are looking for 2 yrs exeperience in this...or that or the other. i know i may have to pay my dues to get where i want to go..but the areas i dont want to work in, are areas of such becuase i KNOW i struggle and get ill. the roles i know i am suited to and would feel connfident in..i have done yes, but will never be offered to me and in the meantime..to i plonk for a job i know impacts my health (i have hypermobility also) until i get enough 2 yr experience under my belt unpaid...just to pay the bills in the meantime?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: In a catch 22

Post by Tom fod »

Hi again

First of all apologies in that it is around 20 years ago that I was in this position myself so my response is only an idea and might not have much practical value. I can certainly sympathise with with you as I am sure can many others trying to convince an employers and interview panel that you deserve to be given the opportunity to show what you can do and not be used as free labour indefinitely.

I'm wondering if it might be an idea to differentiate as little as possible in your CV and on applications as to what was paid and what was voluntary work and instead focus in on what it was you did, your contribution, what was asked of you and how you delivered that and how you dealt with any non standard situations/difficulties that arose.

Why is it that a volunteers's contribution should be considered less valuable than a paid employee's. Is the volunteer always less skilled and does s/he always require careful supervision on even the most elementary task? Appreciate there is 'a pecking order' but a volunteer might actually be the best person to to call upon to assist others /demonstrate a delegated task and work both with fellow volunteers and paid colleagues to get the work done.

It might be worth trying the Dyspraxia Foundation via their helpline 01462 454986 (Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm) or the Shaw Trust www.shaw-trust.org.uk/ to see if they can advise. Has anyone else here got any thoughts?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)