Stupid mistakes on easy tasks.

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bookish
Getting settled in

Stupid mistakes on easy tasks.

Post by bookish »

I started a new part time job around a month ago, it’s working in a library (which is what I want to do) and I thought I was doing okay. Starting to get to grips with everything and getting along with people. It’s the first job I’ve had in a long time that I don’t dread getting up for.

This week though I’ve been pulled up twice in 2 days for not sorting books in their proper order. It’s a really simple task and I shouldn’t be making mistakes, the Dewey decimal system is just numerical and alphabetical order. I understand how it works but I’ve been sorting wrong since the beginning. Part of it was because it wasn’t explained well but a lot of it is just me getting confused.

I’ve been sorting books a lot, in front of a lot of people, they all know I’ve been pulled up for it. Today I’d been doing it most of the day before a manager pointed out I’d been doing it wrong.

Does anyone else feel like they’re perceived as being stupid or incapable because of stupid mistakes on easy tasks. I’m not a stupid person but I often do things that make people think I am. I'm worried I'll never be good enough in any job.

I feel stupid and embarrassed, I like the people I work with I don’t want them to think I’m not capable it’s humiliating, does anyone have any similar experiences or any advice?
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Stupid mistakes on easy tasks.

Post by Tomtom »

I know the feeling of stupid mistakes. I always litter exams with them. The classical example I always use is during an A level maths mock, my working was perfect but the answer came out wrong. I went back over it and halfway through I'd multiplied 1*2 and written down 1 as the answer, throwing the rest of my calculations off.
I always accept that I'm prone to these errors, so I try to watch out for when I make them to rectify them ASAP.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Stupid mistakes on easy tasks.

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ellie

I believe that because we think differently it can be a struggle to exist sometimes with other people who are more neurotypical. Sadly some people will form opinions about us from too narrow an aspect But that is not the case with everyone. I can relate to you wanting to create a good impression and your horror about being picked up for small errors. Remember they can be corrected and the library won't burn down because books have been filed in the wrong place. They're not lost forever either. if you can find someone who has never made an honest mistake, I can point out a liar.

You don't say if you disclosed your dyspraxia/dyslexia when you started this job. It's a difficult conundrum as sadly some people have preconceived ideas (or even No idea) about the condition(s) and that people do have coping strategies and can and do perform such roles successfully as long as other people are accepting that we don't all think the same way. Could you perhaps have a chat to your manager about how tasks could be better defined and to reassure you about how you're perceived.

If my reply glosses over anything or if you think my response misses anything important please do point it out.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)