Total exhaustion after work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FiloZofo
Getting settled in

Total exhaustion after work

Post by FiloZofo »

I recently started working at a retail store I wont name, and despite having an 8 hour contract, I've been given 40 hours to work this week.

I used to get this in my last job, but not as bad. When I finish work, I feel absolutely exhausted and have to go straight to bed to rest when I get home.
It lasts for several days, which has meant that I've had to skip today and Tuesday as I am working 6 days this week.

I generally feel tired after an hour, and 4 hours is torture. (I've gotten numerous weird looks from friends and family about this)

I told my step-in Jobcentre advisor this today (my normal one was training), and they talked to me like I was lying and sounded disgusted that I was unwilling due to being so wrecked, to go in today as it is the stores opening day.

She said I had to see my doctor and get some kind of note which says that I am unwilling to work full time. Does anyone know what this is called?

For the record, I haven't yet been diagnosed, and I'm not hugely sure if this is even related to dyspraxia, but I have no idea who to talk to on the matter.
The Jobcentre has made me feel like its my fault, which is illogical.

I said I would ask to see if I can get my hours reduced and try to spread out the days a bit more.

I've told my team leader I can't lift heavy items as I have no upper body strength, but for some reason it hasn't be translated to the rest of management. For the record almost the entire management team hold the sexist assumption that just because I'm male, I automatically have muscles, and that all women are feeble and shouldn't be allowed to go near heavy things.

Can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

-FiloZofo
FiloZofo, son of Zofo the Philosopher.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Total exhaustion after work

Post by Tom fod »

Definitely something to raise with your GP in case there are other underlying reasons. Some people do get more fatigued than others and it is eminently sensible not to overdo it as you may injure yourself or be involved in an accident.

Another possible explanation is that because we're wired differently and learn, approach and tackle things in a different way to what is considered 'normal' being in unfamiliar territory like a new job can and will disproportionately tire some people.

It's in employers' interests that employees do not sustain avoidable injuries due to working unsuitable practices. Also depends on what items you are required to shift about, how heavy they are and how able you are to do this alone or with assistance from others or availability of suitable manual handling equipment and that targets set are reasonable/achievable.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
gabrielatodd
New member - welcome them!

Post by gabrielatodd »

I agree it is good to be in touch with your GP- fatigue can have so many reasons. S/he may also be able to advise on counselling- something which can be really helpful when we struggle with new situations and people who are not used to us. You mention upper body weakness- you could ask your GP for referral to physiotherapy to have a look at HOW weak your shoulder girdle is and, if appropriate, show you some activities which could help with strengthening.Occupational therapists are really good at looking at how we function in work life, so there is another avenue to follow. Don't be afraid of asking for help. An interesting news item this week is that in Sweden the 8 hr working day is being replaced by a 6 hour day- because people are more productive, less distracted and less tired when they come home. Take the time you need to sleep! You would not be the first one to take an afternoon power nap of 20-30 mins after work, just to recover for the evening. Try what works for you. Routine will make it easier. Good luck!
FiloZofo
Getting settled in

Post by FiloZofo »

I got a doctors note reducing my hours to four 4 hour work shifts a week and regular break, but it was effectively useless as by the time I got it, my anxiety ha built up so much due to the way my employer treated me and the long, unexpected hours, that I had to resign after being there for about a month.

My job centre advisor was very understanding, which was a surprise, regarding my anxiety and fatigue, and was even then person who told me to resign, which was amazing. I think she may have a form of learning disability, as she is the only person in the entire building which uses a writing wedge and coloured highlighters, which despite me not mentioning any difficulties, might have explained her understanding.
(This sort of frightens me with regards to diagnosis hunting)

The fact that my doctor wrote down anxiety was interesting, as upon researching my fatigue, I came to the conclusion, that it might be the reason why I experienced it to such a heightened degree, more than I ever have working.
FiloZofo, son of Zofo the Philosopher.