Dismissal questions/advice

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

taffyapple
New member - welcome them!

Dismissal questions/advice

Post by taffyapple »

So, I was dismissed from my job today and not exactly in the best place in the world.

I had some issues with lateness during my first six months with the employer and it was taken to a review today. As it was still my trial period i.e. I had not been made permanent, they were able to dismiss me. My union is involved and I intend to appeal but I am not sure where I can go from here at the moment.

The short story is that last week I was late and this triggered today's review as it was not the first time. When I was told about this review, my manager for the first time in my employment gave me the details for a well being helpline manned by counselors. It was only through a discussion with them that I began to identify that my behavior and performance has potentially been affected by my dyspraxia.

I was diagnosed at University and beyond the academic support I received, I did not really know much about my condition nor what the fully extent of issues it could have been affected.

My new job also placed me into a situation which was brand new in terms of my life so far so I wouldn't have potential known to ask for assistance nor what assistance this form could have taken until this issue has arisen. By this, I mean that I know I have organisation and time keeping issues but its never been to the extent where my job was on the line.

During my conversation with the well being line, it was recommended that I have sessions with a CBT therapist and learnt that my employer actually will pay for sessions to help work through issues which, thankfully, despite being fired today I can still access and intend to follow through with.

Simply put, my ideal outcome of the review was for my employer to allow me the chance to explore my condition with the CBT therapist, giving me the opportunity to improve and know what support I needed before making its decision on whether or not to a) fired me or b) make me permanent.

So now, I am in a rather dark place in that a) I want to get the job I love back and b) being out of work and having to try and locate another job which no doubt today's decision will have an impact on doing.

By posting on here, I don't really know what advice or suggestions can be offered but the way I am thinking is that I cannot bury my head in the sand and need to address this head on but doing so seems like trying to navigate a mine field.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dismissal questions/advice

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

Sorry to be welcoming you given unfortunate circumstances but it is often the way here. Your Union Reps should be better placed to help you fight your corner and help you with your appeal. If you haven't already it would probably be worth documenting what happened and why from your perspective. Not sure how Dyspraxia aware your Union reps are but this may be helpful particularly the Employers Guide towards the bottom of the page that this link takes you to. http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia-dynamo/

It's good that your employer at least seems to take their duty of care seriously and hopefully some CBT could help you to feel more positive though I don't doubt it probably doesn't seem that way currently. Don't know if you disclosed dyspraxia at time you were recruited. There is currently no legal obligation to do so and given the unfortunate lack of knowledge about the condition it is understandable why quite a few people choose not to and want to be recognised for what they can do, not because of any label.

Anyway that's my 2p's worth. Hope it is of some comfort/use
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
taffyapple

Post by taffyapple »

Tom fod wrote:Hi

Sorry to be welcoming you given unfortunate circumstances but it is often the way here. Your Union Reps should be better placed to help you fight your corner and help you with your appeal.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. My union rep and employer did research as to my condition before my review but the link between my circumstances and my dyspraxia was only identified 5 days before it.

5 days was hardly enough to explore this so I had limited information to provide to them and couldn't answer some of the questions raised.

I think the other concern was that I had a couple of instances of lateness where I had slept through my 4 alarms completely. I wasn't able to demonstrate the link between this and dyspraxia so had no leg to stand on.

Even now I am not sure as until the end of last week, I was only really aware of the physical effects of my condition. Though I have since read a couple of threads on here which seem to show that other dyspraxics experience such issues.

I am nervous about my appeal but very determined to pursue this path because the job was perfect for me and my skill set.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Apologies for not coming back sooner. How are things?

I think you need to be mindful not to expect that any employer will accept dyspraxia as 'a perpetual get out of jail free card'. However with four alarms it sounds like you had made more than reasonable efforts to try to wake yourself up in order to try to be on time. You didn't specify what time you'd gone to bed or when you'd got to sleep. Its rare that I'm asleep before midnight. I'm not necessarily even in bed then! I think it is often hard to stop our minds whirring with thoughts in order to fall asleep and get the rest we need in order to function the next morning.

Since my job allows flexible hours it's fortunately not so much of an issue for me to hit snooze a couple of times though I do like to be at work, ideally before 8.30. If there's a compelling reason to be in earlier I can mostly manage it though there have been mornings when I've overslept. I used to have to get up at 5am some mornings to get a lift but since I moved out to live in my own place, I now get the bus.

I try to ensure stuff like clothes, shoes etc are where I can find them before I go to bed and in the morning I try to minimise distractions like not putting the TV on or trying to avoid looking at these forums (with my moderators hat on) email or Facebook on my phone between getting up showering, getting dressed, having some cereal and heading out the door ensuring I have all the stuff I need ready to grab: wallet, bus pass, sandwiches etc. taps/lights are off, door locked.

Your employer sounds like they are sympathetic to a degree and do seem to be cognisant that they have a duty of care. I really do hope things work our for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Sleeping through lots of alarms sounds more like depression than dyspraxia to me......related but if you see your GP you may be able to get treatment, the CBT will also help as will moderate exercise.... you may be able to get this on prescription from your GP......it has been shown to be SS effective as antidepressants in some instances. Hope this helps
taffyapple

Post by taffyapple »

Things are OK - I've put in my appeal with extensive details and documentation about dyspraxia within it but have begun the process of looking for a new job.

With regards to the original hearing, I acknowledged a similar sentiment to your 'a perpetual get out of jail free card' example. The only reason why I was brought it up and asked my employer to acknowledge my disability was because in order to get my timekeeping to an acceptable level, I needed their support and patience while I sought professional help to minimize my symptoms.

That's why I was rather shocked when they decided to dismiss.

With regards to my sleeping, I describe myself as a night owl. Never realized or even considered the possibility that it was linked to my dyspraxia. I've had times where I have been staring at the ceiling into the early hours despite going to bed early. I've started my therapy sessions now so I'm hopeful in improving this situation. Also been reading a couple of texts about coping with dyspraxia and one recommends a vibrating pillow for dyspraxics that have difficulties in waking so I am looking into this.

In addition, I've also discovered other things which I put down to my personality but are actually on the list of dyspraxic traits. So even if I do not get my job back then at least I have become more knowledge about when my dyspraxia is likely to "be on show" and what I can do to cope with this.

So looking on the positive ... or trying to at least.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I can understand why you were shocked as on the one hand they seem to have made the effort to listen, be understanding and try to help but still took the route of formally dismissing you. Coincidentally I'm currently reading a book about soldiers executed during the First World War for desertion, cowardice and other 'crimes' which nowadays might at least be recognised as PTSD/combat stress. (apologies for the strange parallel, its my different/random train of thought and I hope I have not caused any offence to anyone.)

Someone I know told me about a coping strategy whereby he'd get into bed and then on hearing his alarm specially set for a minute later stretch and get up and out of bed to pre-program himself for when he hears the alarm go off in the morning. Not entirely sure but possible it is an NLP technique?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

It looks like you are having depression also for like one was saying, lack of sleep/sleeping in, nor eating or forgetting to eat cuz of other thoughts in head to worry about. I am going through similar stance . Took awhile for me to admit I had depression and the workforce did act upon or brought it on me , more stress that the job entitles . I am in union also and I'm off disibiliry for I snapped at work. And dypression and dyspraxia combined together is a tricky one and process is slow at least for now anyways . But what I did for an exercise is I wrote simple 10 questions about my life style in paper or made a chart. And the percentage of every question would lead me to the answer of depression . Relationships, music, ativeness , food consumption and work and so on .

I learned that in a depression course I took . Actually helps to trigger your thought on where you are or what is getting you down .
taffyapple

Post by taffyapple »

I thought I would give you all an update on what's been happening.

I have had my appeal hearing and they made the decision not to overturn the decision meaning that I am now looking for work. My union has offered me to help me take the case to an Employment Tribunal but I don't think that would help me in any way.

In the interim, I have began seeing a therapist which ironically is being paid for by the employer that has dismissed me. I'm halfway with a "treatment program" and going to be getting a referral on the NHS because after it completed, it cannot be renewed.

In myself, I am doing well. While I am disappointed and angry that I lost my job, my therapist is wonderful and I have some hope in some job openings that have been sent my way so I'm staying quite positive. I would not say I am or was depressed and this influenced the situation but the time off from work has helped in that the long list of things I wanted to get done is slowly getting done which is helping resolve some of my issues.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the hearing didn't go in your favour but good to hear you are feeling generally positive about moving on.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator