Struggling in new job

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

NIrishDamian
New member - welcome them!

Struggling in new job

Post by NIrishDamian »

Hi guys,
I am really struggling in my new job and am not sure what way to turn...

8 weeks ago I started a graduate role in a small-medium size engineering design office after graduating with an honours degree in civil engineering.

It isn't a job in the area I am interested in - I always struggled with Structural Analysis, but with graduate jobs so rare just now, I need any experience I can get.

I am struggling because the work is proving impossible for me to do at times, my supervisor is spanish and has limited english - which has hampered training me, and makes it impossible for me to understand what it is he wants me to actually do. Additionally, he has a habit of interrupting me in the middle of jobs for corrections of work from last week or the week before - which throws me off (already today I have had about 8 interruptions from one job and a computer crash doing the job I was trying to do!)

I am just feeling like walking out of the place right now...
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Struggling in new job

Post by Tom fod »

Damian

Welcome to our Forums (or Fora)

Sorry for delay in response and that things are proving difficult for you.

I think you need to be clear to your supervisor when you are unclear what it is he wants from you. Equally you could explain you need to be able to concentrate when you're doing a job so could you both agree to set time aside to discuss previous jobs. It would be best to try to speak to him first before trying to speak to his boss.

Not sure if you disclosed dyspraxia? Disclosing is not a legal requisite and you need to be able to trust how your employer will view and treat such information and that they will look at what you can do vice what difficulties you say you have.

I don't know that resigning is the right answer, only you can make that decision and it is probably better if you have another job to go to.

Anyway those are my thoughts. I hope you can find a solution that works out well.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)