Failing at Dreams

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankyNarwhals
New member - welcome them!

Failing at Dreams

Post by CrankyNarwhals »

Hey everyone,

I'm at a bit of a brick wall at the moment and it's really bringing me down. My issue is that I want to become something like an animator or work on CG or learn to code, anything about technology really, however, for things such as animation (my dream job), I know you need to be amazing at drawing, however since I am dyspraxic, my drawing and writing is worse than my 8 year old sibling so whenever I normally attempt to draw something I become really annoyed at myself and curse myself for being so bad and become really anxious. Does anyone here work in a similar industry or have similar issues and would like to share ways to help?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Failing at Dreams

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

While being able to draw is no doubt advantageous, is absolutely everyone in the industry a brilliant artist? It's often a team thing with a number of peoples parts coming together.

I don't know what your influences are and/or if you're already playing about making short animations at home or it's just aspirational at present. I'm sure you have ideas it's just trying to breathe life into them. Look for opportunities to get involved and who knows with hard work and passion you may succeed beyond your expectations.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
CrankyNarwhals

Post by CrankyNarwhals »

Thanks for the reply! :) I have been slowly been teaching myself how to use 3D modeling software at home (software which unis use too!) and it has helped me realize I'm not too awful, so things may go my way haha
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Hello, CrankyNawhal.

Ahh, animation... what a pain it is, but also wonderful career (at least in theory :p). I very almost went down that route, studying Animation at uni, then got somewhat disheartened in the end and kind of just... stopped. Not to say that would happen to you, it's all so circumstantial. I'm not sure of your age, with an 8 year old sibling it sounds like you may have time yet to get learning certain animation, etc. programs to be in a good place to really get somewhere for later on, whether at uni or other.

To have a good drawing understanding is great for any animation. You're leaning towards CG animation? Then you can get away with a less solid ability there as with traditional - but something like life drawing would be good step to give you an idea of form and anatomy for when you're 'building' your models. Any kind of movement research is also so useful, even if you don't draw it all, if you can take in from watching videos online the way things move (in their many different ways), you're getting somewhere. To be honest, there were a few people on my course who weren't the strongest draw-ers - but it didn't stop them pulling on some fair-to-decent-to-successful CG animation.

I'm not generally very good at answering questions, sorry, but if you have any others I will -try- to be of some help... if I can. :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
CrankyNarwhals

Post by CrankyNarwhals »

Hey there! Thanks for the reply, are you Dyspraxic too and if so, did that affect how you did at Uni? and how come you changed career paths and too what? Thanks though, I feel as if I could get somewhere as I can kinda life draw :P
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Yeah, I'm dyspraxic. I do think it affected how I did at uni because the final year especially was suddenly expecting me to do loads of things I hadn't really done much of before. Not enough years at uni if you actually want to learn a lot. :/ Plus I didn't join the right year it seems as the course was still finding its feet ... Though it does depend on the person. People who did some animation before/generally have a more confident or determined edge really seem to not have too much problem at uni and after. But yeah, in the end, trying to do all these things and struggling, and the whole time management did affect my final film and grade. Not the best ending!

So ultimately feel quite discouraged I didn't feel ready to get into animation and such, so I ended up going in to temp retail jobs... certainly what I would have liked to have avoided! Since then I have got into a nicer role (although a bit of uncertainty with how much longer I'll be there) and have even done some illustration work, so not all so bad.

I'm quite negative there, but it does sound like you're already practicing with stuff so you'd be more prepared for a course. :)
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 »

CrankyNarwhals wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm at a bit of a brick wall at the moment and it's really bringing me down. My issue is that I want to become something like an animator or work on CG or learn to code, anything about technology really, however, for things such as animation (my dream job), I know you need to be amazing at drawing, however since I am dyspraxic, my drawing and writing is worse than my 8 year old sibling so whenever I normally attempt to draw something I become really annoyed at myself and curse myself for being so bad and become really anxious. Does anyone here work in a similar industry or have similar issues and would like to share ways to help?

Hey,
Did u try maybe drawing art from a computer , sounnds harder but I think there are programs software to enable your drawing to look professional animation although all of it is in your head what to draw out but I figure they have tools to help with sketches for animation . Almost like mastering to make a fine copy out of the origonal but in your design and pattern.

I know for making music or producing a track, they have so many softwares out there to help u along your journey , maybe they have a tool for animation as well, maybe don't know for sure . But something to check out
Tabby

Post by Tabby »

The thing about art is that it's not about talent, it's about persistence. Sure people start out at different levels, but it's a skill you build up over time. So as long as you keep at it you should improve over time.

Also you can do brilliant animation with very simple styles.
Rickythevoice

Post by Rickythevoice »

huh, that's very interesting, I want to be an animator myself, I have been recently working in 3d arts on the side when i can and i was always afraid i would be bad with 3d modeling. Mostly i want to amaze people with my creations by creating a game and an animation series. So far i have made and rigged an entire character with a bunch of poses
CrankyNarwhals

Post by CrankyNarwhals »

Hey Ricky
Oh really? That's super uplifting (every post here is tbh <3 )do you think you can share some renders? hope it goes well!
Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

You can definitely improve your drawing and writing with practice. I think I'm kind of OK at drawing - still miles of room for improvement, but I've always hated my writing and have recently spent some time practicing making the shapes and lines and stuff, and it does seem to help. Also you could try grip exercises, I'm such a fidget that I do them with balls and grip trainers when I watch TV. I'm sure if you put the hours in your drawing will improve, just work through the frustration and try to aim for a finished piece, even if you don't think it looks good at the time.

Having said that, I'm sure you don't need to be a brilliant drawer to be an animator, like people have already said, there are loads of different styles and techniques these days. I don't animate but I use Adobe Illustrator and you don't need to be an expert in drawing to use that to create cool designs.