Getting interview questions in advance?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

boyo
New member - welcome them!

Getting interview questions in advance?

Post by boyo »

Hi all,

I just came across this forum and found lots of useful stuff so I thought I'd join in!

Last year I managed to go through 15 odd interviews and wasn't having much luck, but eventually got the job I'm in now where I found out not long after I was dyspraxic (diagnosed by my university). From there on I began to work out that interviews just weren't a fair playing field for me as 'on the spot' questions don't really get out the thoughts and answers I know I'm capable of.

Yesterday I had an interview for a promotion where I lost out - in the feedback I was told my application, in-tray exercise and presentation were all good, but I scuppered some interview questions. It seems to me the only way I can nail an interview is if I'm given a bit more time to take in the questions and think of the answers.

My question is, have any of you ever been successful in getting questions before or on the day or at least some information as what areas questions will cover? If so how have you communicated this, as most workplaces are fairly ignorant about dyspraxia?
maria
Regular Poster

Re: Getting interview questions in advance?

Post by maria »

You probably already know this, but most employers now use core competencies based on the STAR system ie Situation, Task, Action, Result. If you have an idea of what core competencies they might be looking for (eg Working in a Team; Customer Service et - you can get loads of info on the internet about what certain types of jobs usually require) then write your samples in advance. Spend longest explaining Action and next longest on Result. I've heard some places will let you take an aide-memoire in with you, but you'd probably best check beforehand. Remember the samples don't always have to be about work, you can use samples from outside work too Hope that might be of some use.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Getting interview questions in advance?

Post by Tom fod »

I would echo Maria. It's in my view unlikely they would not give you the specific questions they would ask you in advance. You could try asking for this info as a reasonable adjustment for interview.

It is possible to try and anticipate and prepare for the questions by reading any job description they provide, learning about what they do and how they operate and keeping a copy of what you submit in your application with bullet points/prompts so that you can go into more detail and expand upon the things they might ask about how you might have dealt with particular situations in the past and how you could apply this knowledge/experience if you were employed by them.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)