Job situation

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FAndrews
Power poster

Job situation

Post by FAndrews »

Been a while since ive posted but here goes:

Hi all okay so I had my final probation meeting this morning for my job, they decided not to continue my contract due to them being unable to support me in my role due to the complexities of my job and my learning disabilities and feeling it was not my the right placement for me. this is sadly the result i expected :( and most my frustration can be levelled against Occupational Health and Access to Work who have been useless in my opinion throughout this period of employment.

sadly my disability made some aspects of my job more harder than normal as i was dealing with people with varying disabilties and challenging behaviour and there were concerns throughout of how well i could cope. though the support they put throughout as I've said hasn't been great to be honest. hopefully something will turn up and i will be much better off.

As for Access to work and Occupational health well honestly they really didnt do much, i had an assessment back in december which wasnt great, the person wasn't well learned on learning disabilities and so i had for half the meeting me and my mum had to explain my condition and how it affects me. i was then referred to access to work who at first told me they couldnt do anything for me eventually this was chased up and i was transferred to a less challenging environment for the last two months of my extended probation with the plan of supporting me through job coaching, they had the first initial meeting with them and set up additional sessions, it was then cancelled on the day I was supposed to be having it with no reason why. it was only in my probation meeting before the one i just had that through the intial assessment they decided they couldnt support me in that environment or job role unsure emoticon despite telling me at the assesment the plans and things they will be doing and trying through my job coaching. so yeah i feel let down and frustrated over this to be honest.

So yeah been a rough few months to be honest.
Vimes
Getting settled in

Re: Job situation

Post by Vimes »

Hey mate. I feel for you. That all sounds stressful and frustrating.

The lack of awareness for dyspraxia is annoying. I've told some people at work that I have dyspraxica and have tried to explain it to them somewhat. I'm pretty sure if I asked them about it now they'd say "you have dyslexia or something don't you?" I doubt they have a clue.

It must be so much more frustrating for you that the people that are supposed to be clued up and supposed to be helping you don't seem to have a clue either.

Hang in there mate. And keep us informed on how it's going. I hope it all works out.
FAndrews
Power poster

Post by FAndrews »

Thought you would like to know that last thursday i got a new job :) im working for a care agency based across my local area.
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

^ Hooray!
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Pleased to hear it and congratulations.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)