Declaring disability

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jo-
Getting settled in

Declaring disability

Post by Jo- »

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question with regard to declaring disability on a job application. I recently applied for a job, I have had no reply and have been assuming that I was unsuccessful, but it has occurred to me that I declared my disability - dyspraxia and dyscalculia (also fibromyalgia) on the application and I was thinking that this should mean that they are obliged to interview me because of this. When I check online I get the message that the application is still under review but it has been a month since I submitted it. Should I contact them to ask what the situation is?

I am currently studying for an MSc with the university where this position is and it was also there that I was diagnosed just coming up to a year ago. The job is for graduate tutor position and PhD research so it may be a stretch - I'm not assuming I'll get it however I was thinking that if you declare yourself as disabled then they at least have to interview you - any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks, Jo
Jim
Super poster

Re: Declaring disability

Post by Jim »

I don't think they have to interview you, but as long as you meet the minimum requirements they might consider interviewing you when they may otherwise wouldn't have.

It's a bit of a folly really, just a meaningless recruitment trick designed to make it look like they take 'equal opportunities' seriously. But in reality it changes nothing. Although personally I'd still disclose any disability on the application, that way they're aware from the beginning and any reasonable adjustments could be organised easier.

I would't worry too much what it says about your application online either, as this is dependant on the employer, HR or recruitment teams updating it, and some are better at this than others. I've received telephone calls from employers to tell me that I hadn't been successful whilst the online system still said "decision pending". So you definitely can't rely on that.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Declaring disability

Post by Tom fod »

Also worth bearing in mind that if they're still at paper sift sage they may not be looking at aplications until next week. When you applied did the associated paperwork give any indication when interviews might happen or a timeline for when they hoped to fill the post?

As Jim points out the guaranteed interview is dependent on whether they believe your application shows you meet requirements for fulfilling the role.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)