feeling held back from work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lauraECFan
Power poster

feeling held back from work

Post by lauraECFan »

i feel like my mother does not want me to get a job as she was very determined to get me onto the dole while i would have far preferred to have got a job working with animals. now due to this i feel as if i have no choice but to stay home. does anyone else have this issue?
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: feeling held back from work

Post by Tom fod »

I understand signing on feels a lot like admitting defeat but try to think of it as a bit of money to support you while you look for that job. It`s worth looking at voluntary work in the sector as if your already known that might help you when you apply for paid positions.

I hope you find something sooner than I did. In the meantime you hav some money to support you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

i am grateful for the money but my mother has made out to the dole office that i would be unable to work unsupervised when she knows full well i can i just dont like the lies
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I can understand why you feel peeved. She's not promoting you in any way saying that. Have you been looking to try to identify where the opportunities that interest you can be found? Have you applied for anything yet or are you still looking? Job hunting sadly can involve a fair few disappointments along the way but you'll get there.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is doing this. It must be really frustrating.

You might be interested to know that I had the opposite treatment when I left school/college as an undiagnosed dyspraxic.

My parents pushed me to get a "normal" job. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful at all these jobs. Initially I got the "lazy" label but this slowly evolved into the "stupid" tag.

There must be a happy medium somewhere between my parents and your mother.

Anyway, It sounds as if you know your calling. I'm sure you'll be a success 'cos your heart's in it. I just wish you luck in persuading your mother to see sense.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

i hope i can as well even if i can only get a voluntary job its better than nothing at all
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever