Navy with dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mys
New member - welcome them!

Navy with dyspraxia

Post by Mys »

Hi, so I have just completed my GCSE'S and will most likely fail.. I have ALWAYS wanted to join the military and am interested in becoming an aircrew man in the navy, will dyspraxia stop me from doing this because im fucked over with this shitty condition stopping me doing normal things that everyone else can do but me and I will be fucked off if this curse stops me from joining the navy..
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Navy with dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome Mys

Unfortunately, as you're no doubt dyspraxia is a condition and not something that can be cured. I'm not sure to what degree you're affected so simply cannot say yes or no. Have you tried the Sea or Air Cadets as way of getting a small degree of an idea of what you can do and which areas you would struggle in? It would also put you in contact with those who maybe able to offer more useful advice.

Sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer. The only way is to try and see how far you get. You may surprise even yourself! We're pretty determined.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
liamj1987
New member - welcome them!

Re: Navy with dyspraxia

Post by liamj1987 »

i tried to get in the army when i was 16 i had a deferral on the grounds i had asthma when young and had to wait 4 years until application was going through when i was 20 went to the interview and had my medical records sent to the army (which was about 5 times the thickness off most the others in the draw at drs) :grin: i then went for selection at edinburgh scotland which i never got in because of my hearing but my dyspraxia was never brought up in any of the interviews or at the selection center so id say give it a go and if needs be have a chat with them at the military careers office they may be soldiers and part of forces but very helpful and take someone with you if your nervous(i took my grandad) hope this helps