Daydreaming at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Daydreaming at work

Post by Mcewan90 »

Hello I have recently got a new job in a care home for the elderly and I really like it but I find it very difficult. If im on an early shift in the morning im usually very tired and this makes my concentration even worse. When ever im doing tasks my mind seems to wander and I go onto this sort of daze/daydream state and I have absolutely no control over it.
When this happens I will usually get told off by team leaders or other members of staff. I find this very hurtful and will put me on a downer for the rest of the day. Although I like my job I am constantly looking at the clock because I want to get finished because I dont feel relaxed at work. I fear that I am going to lose my job because of these daydreams which distract me from my work and cause me to make mistakes. I need advice on how to tell employers about dyspraxia. I have told people about my dyspraxia in the past but no-one seems to understand it so i tend not to tell people.

Thanks
pouvik
Regular Poster

Re: Daydreaming at work

Post by pouvik »

you need to speak to your companies HR department or your supervisor, provide them with all the information you can about Dyspraxia and remind them that it is recognised as a disability so you are entitled to support etc in your work.
Mcewan90
Getting settled in

Post by Mcewan90 »

If I tell managers about my dyspraxia could I lose my job because they might not think im suitable for the position? ( I have only been there just under a year)
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

If you have an official diagnosis then no as Dyspraxia is under the 2010 act, so they would be breaking the law in doing so!
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Sounds like it may be an issue with sensory modulation ...you can`t get your level of attention right, try experimenting with different sensory inputs , visual, auditory ..music?, smell ...some perfumes may help, body position....exercise may help you to wake up in the morning, balance and head position ...you could try moving about in a random order. You may also want to see your GP in case your symptoms are actually partial seizures( a form of epilepsy) personally I would want to rule that out.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

It sounds more like ADD (ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER) Were you cant keep your mind on the Task you are expected to do.Both myself and my son are like that.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I would recommend talking to the HR department about your dyspraxicia and if you have a formal diagnosis then give them a copy of this as well as what adjustments that you think would help you but also are reasonable. For example if your not going to be focusing in the morning then is it possible if you could work in another less demarnding department then. even if this is not possible some understanding at least would clearly help in any case.

They cant get rid of you on the basis of your dyspraxicia but they do have to know first otherwise from there view they do have a reason

Hopefully you can talk to someone who can help and understand the problem and get things sorted.
The real Mr Potato Head
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

You are right joy it could be attention deficit disorder, this can be helped in some by appropriate sensory diet, I myself am a chronic day dreamer but this is helped by exercise, I focus much better after swimming or a walk or any exercise but rarely admit it before exercising as I hate it! I also find lists useful but am not a consistent user of them. You may want to see your GP as if ADD you can get medication to help, and if any possibility that its epilepsy then you need appropriate medication
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

I have dyspraxia, but not ADD or ADHD, and have experienced this "daydream" state throughout my life, during lessons/ lectures, while reading, watching television, eating, and throughout most of the day, I struggle to concentrate for even very short periods of time, and remember once entering this "daydream" state for the entirety of a 30 minute program. It's interesting to see other Dyspraxics with the same issue.
red
New member - welcome them!

Post by red »

i daydream at least four or five times a day. i am not aware off it till i sort off snap out of it. my boss noticed the other day and asked if i was ok. i said what? then she replied you are staring.

I have often wondered what it is. at least i now know i am not the only person to have this problem. :!:
I am not stupid. I am dyslexic and Dsypraixc. Nothing is impossible!