Panicking at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sarahlovie1
New member - welcome them!

Panicking at work

Post by sarahlovie1 »

I put a post on this forum some months ago when I expressed concern about working as a nurse on old age wards, due to my having suspected dyspraxia (problems with practical skills and prioritising). Things have been going better, but my confidence has been seriously knocked after an awful shift recently where I had to help restrain a patient and couldn't remember the sequence of how to do this, nor how to draw up the required injection to calm them down. My colleagues became frustrated and impatient with me, and I felt as if I was being ganged up on for the rest of the nightshift -nothing I could do was right! Sometimes I wonder why I bother; have had some OK shifts since, but am back to panicking every time I go onto an old age ward. If I am on with more understanding colleagues, they tend to give me the less "practical" tasks (e.g. writing up notes while they check the patients at 6am, and doing incident reports). The manager of this particular ward seems to think I work OK, as she offered me more shifts there, which I have accepted -I do like the contact with the patients, it's just some of the staff who are difficult to work with. I have got into the habit of going into the ward a few days before the shift to check who I'm working with, and then panicking if it's someone who is unsympathetic to my difficulties. The nurse bank manager has suggested referring me to occupational health for stress, but I don't know whether to go ahead with this or not?
Jim
Super poster

Re: Panicking at work

Post by Jim »

I would take your manager up on the referral, if only to see what the occupational therapist says, they might be able to recommend reasonable adjustments to you and your manager. They'd probably also refer you http://www.ppconline.info which is basically a counselling service which your employer will probably pay for. (Are you NHS or private?).

If your worried about PMVA techniques, you could always request an update on your training, and should imagine the same goes for medication management (I'm not a qualified nurse, so you'll know better than me on that).

Having worked in secure services, mental health I have plenty of experience of incidents which have resulted in C+R. I know how intimidating they can be. When they happen you don't really have time to worry about techniques, you just have to get stuck in. It's stressful, and nerves are always going to fray which is why communication and a good debrief is always key.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
sarahlovie1

Post by sarahlovie1 »

Jim, many thanks for your reply, it's really helpful and I'll be seeing my manager next week. Have sent her an e-mail explaining about my probable dyspraxia, so hopefully will get some idea of where to go next. Hope all's well with you :D
sarahlovie1

Post by sarahlovie1 »

Well, a bit of positive progress to report! I met with my line manager and the manager of the ward where my dyspraxia has been causing me problems, and it was really helpful. I am being referred to occupational health because of the stress factors, and they have suggested I work on smaller, less pressurised wards, which seems to be a good way forward. Good to have support, and to be listened to! :D